Textkit Wish List

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Textkit Wish List

Post by Jeff Tirey »

"It never hurts to ask" and "ask, and you shall receive" are two of my favorite sayings that are remarkably true.<br /><br />With this in mind, I'm asking for help in finding more of the harder to find grammars and readers. You should know that I don't have access to a college inter-library loan program, so it is very difficult to find quality books that are printed before 1923. Most I find through auctions and online books stores and as a policy I only pay for books that I feel are a bargain.<br /><br />So here is my wish list in no particular order. Perhaps someone has access to these books and wouldn't mind mailing me a photocopy or making some other arrangements?<br /><br />Textkit Wish List:<br />- Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar<br />- Key to Sidgwick's Greek Prose Composition<br />- North and Hillard's Latin Prose Composition and Key<br />- First few pages of North and Hillard's Greek Prose Composition Key<br />- an Arrian Anabasis Greek reader<br />- Any Latin reader from Ginn's College Series of Latin Authors<br />- 1860 Hadley Greek Grammar (not the Hadley and Allen)<br />- Veitch's "Greek Verbs of Irregular and Defective"<br />- works of Kruger and Madvig<br />- Curtius's Griechische Schulgrammatik<br />- Homeric Grammar of Ahrens, Griechische Formenlehre des Homerishcen und Attischen Dialektes: Goottingen, 1852<br /><br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Textkit Wish List

Post by Koala »

I'm afraid these are not on your present wish list, but I do have:<br /><br />1. A Junior Latin Reader (Longman's Latin Course), 1923 ed (?for next year)<br /><br />2. Initia Graeca - Part I, A First Greek Course by Sir William Smith, LL.D., D.C.L. - 1909 ed - which I find valuable, thorough, tough, merciless...<br /><br />Cheers

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Koala link=board=6;threadid=338;start=0#2454 date=1059666997]<br />1. A Junior Latin Reader (Longman's Latin Course), 1923 ed (?for next year)[/quote]<br /><br />I wish U.S. public domain issues were that simple. Actually, books with 1923 copyrights won't be available for years to come. So far out that I'm not really sure when, but I think around 2018.<br /><br />pity. :'(<br /><br />The other book sounds interesting and if you're willing to photocopy it - I'm willing to scan and post it!<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Who decides that (before) 1923 is the magic number?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

United States Congress passes all the laws concerning copyrights. There are many revisions to the laws. Big ones in 76, 92, and 98 - so the whole thing gets very confusing and I don't really understand it all.<br /><br />Without the info on page 8 - Textkit wouldn't be online today<br />http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.pdf#page=8<br /><br />It does say that 1924 copyrights will expire in 2019 - I can't wait!! ;) After that things will expire year after year - unless another law is passed :-\<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm just guessing here. Presumably this only applies to the US. So if a book is published in another country but was not published in the US the dates might be different. If it's published in the US and another country would the dates be different in the other country, so that it might be worth textkit setting up a "branch office" on a computer in that other country?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=338;start=0#2474 date=1059703796]<br />It does say that 1924 copyrights will expire in 2019 - I can't wait!! ;) After that things will expire year after year - unless another law is passed :-\It does say that 1924 copyrights will expire in 2019 - I can't wait!! ;) After that things will expire year after year - unless another law is passed :-\ [/quote]<br /><br />2019! That's such a long way off...<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=338;start=0#2475 date=1059709106]<br />I'm not a lawyer, so I'm just guessing here. Presumably this only applies to the US. So if a book is published in another country but was not published in the US the dates might be different. If it's published in the US and another country would the dates be different in the other country, so that it might be worth textkit setting up a "branch office" on a computer in that other country?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Fortunately this is not a problem. There are international agreements about copyrights, patents and trademarks.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I know that some of the internet sites that publish old books have a site in Australia to get around this - the copyright laws are slightly different (and I should know them having studied them as part of my music course). I also have a lot of old books being a 2nd hand bookshop junkie - my latest being a 1916 copy of Breasted's "Ancient Times - A history of the early World". A marvelous example of wonderful scholarship combined with some wild guesswork! And all for about $US6!. What is the time limit for books you can publish now, Jeff? Or does it change from book to book? <br />The North & Hillard Latin prose composition & key sounds good as does any of the Ginn series of Latin Authors. There is a very badly scanned copy of a book by Luce(?) on unseen translations I have seen somewhere on the internet. Any textbooks which go through the business of translating blow by blow would be good, as reading "real" Latin is quite a bit different from reading the nutty sentences used as examples in most texbooks. I really can't thank you enough for providing all this information, Jeff.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

You're welcome!<br /><br />I believe the best feature of the Internet is its rich source of free information - and I like to contribute to that cause with Textkit.<br /><br />Any book with a copyright AND printed before January 1, 1923 we can use. <br /><br />thanks again,<br />jeff<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I have just managed to get a copy of the North & Hillard "latin Prose Composition" so I can scrub that from my wish list. A book with Ovid's "Metamorphoses" with some notes would be good if someone has a copy (or even knows of a good book so I can drive the owners of Adelaide's 2nd hand bookstores crazy hunting it down for me!)<br /><br />(Later) but on second thoughts - leave the Key for the North & Hillard on the wish list!

aemilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aemilius »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=338;start=0#2546 date=1059840901]<br />Any book with a copyright AND printed before January 1, 1923 we can use. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Jeff,<br /><br />I have read that if a book is published between 1923 and 1978 without a copyright notice then it is also public domain. However I don't know what exactly is "without a copyright notice".<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I don't suppose there's a key to BLD floating around out there? I'd be interested in that...