Textkit Logo

What is self and how does it relate to reality?

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

What is self and how does it relate to reality?

Postby givarya » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:58 am

some random thoughts
What is SELF?
Dose SELF defines reality or our view of reality? If so, is there one and only one SELF and dose this implies there is one reality?
What about SELF as a construct and not as ONE entity, does a construct SELF implies multiple realities?
金火山
givarya
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:07 pm

Hmm... got to think about this one, but right off the top of my head I'd say that 'self' is that part of my mind that receives certain information and must work out which decision is to be made. 'Self' certainly plays a large part in what we think of as reality. 'self' is just another word for 'I' in this discussion (I hope at least ;-) ), and we relate nearly everything we see in terms of how it relates to 'us'. Our self is certainly not static, the more memories we have and the more experiences we make the more our self changes to accommodate for these. The way in which the 'self' reaches decisions changes. But the structure itself, i.e. that there is such a thing that makes the decisions stays the same. There may well be different 'selves', different modes of making discussions which are needed in different circumstances, which we slip into without noticing. I'm not too sure if that means that each of these 'modes' has it's own perception of reality, they might all have one common reality, but each might think that some parts of this reality are more important than others maybe.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to The Academy