Thank you Skylax for your help again..
[face=SPIonic]xa/rin o0fei/lw soi\ eu0nousta/tw| o1nti[/face]
1. The Greeks were both near and drawn up in line of battle
2. For the army had been drawn apart/separated
3. He heard/learned that a ditch had been dug through the field
4. I have gladly obeyed this man
5. They say Cyrus was promised much gold by the seer
6. There also followed others from the Persians, to the number of three hundred, armed with breast-plates
7. For, while proceeding at night, I was often separated from the infantry
8. How many of the captives will have been left behind?
9. And whoever of you wishes to go home, let him remember me as a good man
(let him remember I am a good man)
10. He marched against Menon’s soldiers, so that they were thoroughly frightened and ran to their arms
[face=SPIonic]a. dia\ tou= qw/rakoj e0tetoceu/mhn
b. to\ stra/teuma katakeko/yetai
g. le/gei w9j oi97 3Ellhnej pa/nta pepeisme/noi ei0si\n toi=j a1rxousin
d. polla/kij parekeke/leunto Ku/rw| pa/ntej mh\ ma/xesqai
e. o9 Ku=roj kai\ oi9 i9ppei=j teqwrakisme/noi h]san[/face]
Indeed both Cyrus and his army went along this passage and got inside the ditch.
On this day, therefore, the King did not give battle. At this time Cyrus, having called Silanus the seer,
gave him three thousand darics, because on the eleventh day before that day (eleven days before),
he had said to him in a sacrifice, that the King would not fight within the (next) ten days. Cyrus said/replied,
“He will not fight again/at all, if he won’t fight in these days – (and) if you shall prove to be speaking the truth,
I promise you ten talents”. This money then he gave him, when the ten days had passed.
With apologies to Garibaldi, but this could nearly have been said by Cyrus:
«Compagni! La fortuna che ci ha tradito oggi ci arriderà domani. Io esco da [face=SPIonic]tw~n Sarde/wn[/face].
Chi vuole continuare la guerra contro lo straniero mi segua. Offro fame, sete, marce forzate, morte;
per tenda il cielo, per letto la terra. Chi ha il nome d’[face=SPIonic]79Ella/doj[/face] non soltanto
sulle labbra ma anche nel cuore, venga con me!»