We're getting restless

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

We're getting restless

Post by benissimus »

I notice my Latin brethren getting anxious, seeing that the Greeks now have two fora, while the Romans have but one. The Latin forum is also much larger... :o<br /><br />Too bad there aren't as many people familiar with the other brands of Latin...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:We're getting restless

Post by mariek »

No, that doesn't seem equitable, does it! <br /><br />I never knew there were other flavours of Latin. Why don't you enlighten the rest us... ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=349;start=0#2551 date=1059849430]<br />two fora<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That merits a "you the man françis!".<br /><br />How about medieval Latin? Pity B.L.D wrote not one of that...<br /><br />Or just a forum titled "Subjunctiveses" :o

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Or...we COULD make a forum dedicated to...

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

There could be a separate forum for discussing Latin literature and prose style or pehaps a forum for Neo-Latin.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

the question is whether a second latin forum is really necessary, or whether we'd be doing it simply because greek has two ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I prefer one anyway, but I would feel a little more secure if I had a back-up one ;)<br /><br />The problem is that Vulgar Latin, Ecclesiastical Latin, Ancient (Ancient, Ancient) Latin, and Neo-Latin are not wholly and distinctly different except for in vocabulary and pronunciation. It's kind of nice having one forum heavily saturated in Latin as opposed to two fora heavily diluted :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I wish that I might see ancient, ancient Latin.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=349;start=0#2592 date=1059930185]<br />I wish that I might see ancient, ancient Latin. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Check out this site, they've ordered what they have chronologically"<br /><br />http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/a_chron.html<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

sweet!<br /><br />do I be studying s a e c u l u m s e p t i m u m<br />a n t e C h r i s t u m n a t u m? heh ;D<br /><br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=349;start=0#2551 date=1059849430]<br />I notice my Latin brethren getting anxious, seeing that the Greeks now have two fora, while the Romans have but one. The Latin forum is also much larger... :o<br /><br />Too bad there aren't as many people familiar with the other brands of Latin...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />There's nothing I would like more than more boards. But I'm not sure there is the traffic to support an additional Latin board. In time, I'm certain more boards will be created.<br /><br />True, the Greeks have two - but that NT board might still have been a bit premature. Not much happening in it. Hopefully, our NT content will get linked to and that will change.<br /><br />I have been tossing the idea around in my mind of creating some boards that would relate to specific authors and textbooks. A Homeric board, First Greek Book board and Beginner's Latin Book board.<br /><br />But:<br /><br />a: I don't know if that's really necessary in light of the traffic levels<br />b: I don't know if that will confuse new comers and create more work for moderators who would then have to move posts around when threads are started in the wrong place.<br /><br /><br />It's YOUR forum - thoughts, suggestions?<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I like it the way it is... just stirring up trouble :P

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

as an aside, is it just me or are our avatars HUGE today?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Hahahahahaha. Yeah, it's true. That was hilarious, klewlis.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=349;start=0#2711 date=1060004020]<br />as an aside, is it just me or are our avatars HUGE today?<br />[/quote]<br />I was experimenting with the forum settings. It's back to normal now.
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yeah I noticed that you fixed the headings problem, so thought you must be playing ;)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

While we're on the subject of the forum template - how do the forum colors look to Mac people? I'm not sure if there's enough contrast between all the white and grey.
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

uh that's pretty off topic there jeff ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

This is the open forum :p

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Keep it simple. I don't think there's enough traffic yet to justify lots of different boards.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=349;start=0#2708 date=1060003489]<br />I have been tossing the idea around in my mind of creating some boards that would relate to specific authors and textbooks. A Homeric board, First Greek Book board and Beginner's Latin Book board. [/quote]<br /><br />I think it's a bit premature, for the same reasons you stated. I don't think there's enough traffic yet. And I've seen "problems" on other forums where people don't know where they should go for what they're looking for. "One Stop Shopping" keeps everything nice and simple. The Agora already exists for anyone who wants to practice more advanced Latin. <br /><br />The only thing I can think of that would be an improvement is to either widen the message editing window or configure the software to allow members to specify how wide they want the window to be. I only mention this because I'd like to see more text when I'm replying to a message. <br />