Wheelock - illa

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
phil
Textkit Fan

Wheelock - illa

Post by phil »

Hi all,<br /><br />I'm working through my Wheelock, and have a problem with this sentence from chapter 9 'In illo libro(in that book), illa de hoc homine scribet'.<br /><br />I looked at the 'scribet' (scribo, scribere) and thought '3rd person sing' - (s/he will write), so looked for a noun or pronoun to suit. I saw 'illa' and thought nominative sing fem - 'That woman will write about this man.' But the answers took illa to be neuter accusative plural and say 'He will write those things about this man.'<br /><br />Am I right, or possibly are we both right? ???<br /><br />Look forward to comments.<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Phil.<br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Wheelock - illa

Post by klewlis »

I believe the illa is meant to be neuter accusative plural, not feminine nominative singular... hence "those things".
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think you could both be right :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Just as in English, context is important.<br /><br />E.g. Is "read" present or past tense?<br /> Is "lead" a verb or an element (plumbum)?<br /> Does "light" mean "c" as in E=mc(2) or just not heavy?<br /> etc.<br /><br />Without context I'd lean towards "those things" but as Benissimus says -- both could be right gramatically.<br /><br />Magistra

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

is "egg" something that I throw at politicians or a credit card? :o<br /><br />good examples

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Both are correct. And I'm sure of it. If such a sentence is written in a text, you have to see which is best in the context. But without context both are correct.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

That's great,<br />thanks very much. Because I study on my own, it's easy to get disheartened when I just can't work something out. It's a great help to have a forum like this to turn to!<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phil