Basics of Latin

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Gaius Julius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Basics of Latin

Post by Gaius Julius Caesar »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have always wanted to be able to talk to people who know a LOT more latin than I do. I speak Spanish, so Latin shouldn't be so hard for me..well...actually it should :oops: . I've read a few proverbs and have a dicctionary for Latin, but I'm still missing the basics. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me out with the verb to be. Thanks.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Welcome!

The verb "to be" is esse. You may also find it in the dictionary as sum.

You can pick up a free grammar book (like the D'Ooge book) here :
http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Open Forum

When you have questions, ask them here.

Good Luck!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Welcome. If you have a specific question about esse we will be glad to help.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Gaius Julius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius Julius Caesar »

Thanks, I'm going to read the PDF file by D'Ooge right now and see what I need help with.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

What's that? You want to know the imperfect subjunctive of esse? Well ok if you insist. Well let's start with abesse, to be away,

aufforem
auffores
aufforet

aufforemus
aufforetis
aufforent, they might be away

These are the most common forms of esse and must be learned immediately.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus wrote:What's that? You want to know the imperfect subjunctive of esse? Well ok if you insist. Well let's start with abesse, to be away,

aufforem
auffores
aufforet

aufforemus
aufforetis

These are the most common forms of esse and must be learned immediately.
right...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Episcopus, don't scare away the novices yet, let them tread into the water first then dunk. That way, they'll be too far away from the shore to crawl back. They'll learn to swim.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Episcopus wrote:
What's that? You want to know the imperfect subjunctive of esse? Well ok if you insist. Well let's start with abesse, to be away,

aufforem
auffores
aufforet

aufforemus
aufforetis

These are the most common forms of esse and must be learned immediately
Actually these are exceedingly rare forms found only in Episcopi imagination (perhaps he got carried away - ablatus est). These are the correct imperfect subjunctive forms to be learnt in the first lesson:

abessem (aforem)
abesses (afores)
abesset (aforet)

abessemus (aforemus)
abessetis (aforetis)
abessent (aforent)

The forms in brackets are optional and probably only suitable for fast learners. :wink:

Cheers,
Int

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

benissimus wrote: right...
Check Livy II. 23-34 for auforent. Imagination? I think not.

cweb who says you're still not a novice you loser?

haha only kidding...actually I'm not, only joking :P

And also Inter: please do not include forms such as aforetis which are not even in A&G. You really should not be here if you confuse beginners who are just trying to experience the joys of classical literature and society through unnecessary extremely obscure forms. I think that this is a disgrace.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Episcopus:
Check Livy II. 23-34 for auforent. Imagination? I think not.
Sorry, I couldn't find it in the Perseus text using their search engine. Can you quote the sentence?
please do not include forms such as aforetis which are not even in A&G.
Yes, I saw foremus, foretis were missing in Gildersleeve's too but I took 'em from 501 Verbs 'cos I thought they looked nice. :oops: Otherwise I am suitably humbled by your reproofs.

Gaius Julius Caesar:

My apologies for letting my untidy learning process spill over onto your page. You'll find the Textkit guys are normally extremely helpful. :)

Being a Spanish speaker must make learning Latin easier for you in many ways. For example, you are already at home with the subjunctive.

sum = yo soy, sim = yo sea, etc.

And Latin perfect can be very close to Spanish sometimes:

fui = yo fui or he sido.

I envy you.

Int

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You all must excuse Episcopus' estranged sense of humor; while his style is interesting, he regularly does very unusual things with forms and syntax. auforent (probably on analogy with auferrent) is not in Livy II. 23-34 or anywhere else to my knowledge. He already knows this, bad Episcopus!