JWW exercises, paragraphs 645, 646, 647

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 645, 646, 647

Post by Koala »

Thank you Skylax for your help again..
[size=134]χάριν ὀφείλω σοὶ εὐνουστάτῳ ὄντι[/size]

1. The Greeks were both near and drawn up in line of battle
2. For the army had been drawn apart/separated
3. He heard/learned that a ditch had been dug through the field
4. I have gladly obeyed this man
5. They say Cyrus was promised much gold by the seer
6. There also followed others from the Persians, to the number of three hundred, armed with breast-plates
7. For, while proceeding at night, I was often separated from the infantry
8. How many of the captives will have been left behind?
9. And whoever of you wishes to go home, let him remember me as a good man
(let him remember I am a good man)
10. He marched against Menon’s soldiers, so that they were thoroughly frightened and ran to their arms

[size=150]α. διὰ τοῦ θώρακος ἐτετοξεύμην β. τὸ στράτευμα κατακεκόψεται γ. λέγει ὡς οἱ Ἕλληνες πάντα πεπεισμένοι εἰσὶν τοῖς ἄρχουσιν δ. πολλάκις παρεκεκέλευντο Κύρῳ πάντες μὴ μάχεσθαι ε. ὁ Κῦρος καὶ οἱ ἱππεῖς τεθωρακισμένοι ἦσαν[/size]

Indeed both Cyrus and his army went along this passage and got inside the ditch.
On this day, therefore, the King did not give battle. At this time Cyrus, having called Silanus the seer,
gave him three thousand darics, because on the eleventh day before that day (eleven days before),
he had said to him in a sacrifice, that the King would not fight within the (next) ten days. Cyrus said/replied,
“He will not fight again/at all, if he won’t fight in these days – (and) if you shall prove to be speaking the truth,
I promise you ten talents”. This money then he gave him, when the ten days had passed.

With apologies to Garibaldi, but this could nearly have been said by Cyrus:
«Compagni! La fortuna che ci ha tradito oggi ci arriderà domani. Io esco da [size=134]τῶν Σαρδέων[/size].
Chi vuole continuare la guerra contro lo straniero mi segua. Offro fame, sete, marce forzate, morte;
per tenda il cielo, per letto la terra. Chi ha il nome d’ Ἑλλάδος non soltanto
sulle labbra ma anche nel cuore, venga con me!»

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

1. « are »
2. « the armies »
5. To the best of my knowledge, the Greek doesn’t use phrases such as « he was given a chair » with ὑπισχνέομαι, a verb whose meaning is always active. The only verb I know that allows an « indirect passive » is ἐπιτρέπω « entrust » (ἐπιτραφεὶς τὴν ἀρχήν « having been entrusted with the power », Herodotus, I, 7). Here the meaning should be simply « They say Cyrus has promised much money to the seer ».
9. « may he remember that he is a good (courageous) man », see Anabasis, 3, 2, 39, where is also said : ὅστις τε ζῆν ἐπιθυμεῖ, πειράσθω νικᾶν « And the one who wants to live on, may he try to conquer ! ».
If it were « I am », there would be μεμνήσθω με ἄνδρ’ ἀγαθὸν εἶναι.

646 – OK but λέγει ὡς implies « he claims » (something that is maybe not true)

« on the eleventh day before », I think, means only ten days before because the very day he said it is already the « first » day, so the day after is the « second » day but it is only one day later…
οὐκ… ἔτι means « not any more »
ἐπεί maybe rather « since » or « because » ?

Vengo, Giuseppe, sono qua ὦ κῦρε.