Dr. B.L.D P78

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Dr. B.L.D P78

Post by Episcopus »

Of Many things am I unsure so...apologies for the mistakes but I'd like to know the right answers and perhaps explanation so that I may improve ;D<br /><br /><br />1. The weary sailors were approaching a place dear to the goddess, Diana.<br /><br />Nautae defessi loco caro Dianae deae adpropinquabant.<br /><br />2. They were without food and wine. (not using sine)<br /><br />(a?) Cibo vinoque egebant. (I knew not, whether "a" should be used) Literal/Figurative seperation?<br /><br />3. Then Galba and seven other men are sent to the ancient island by Sextus.<br /> <br />Tum Galba et septem alii viri ad insulam antiquam ab Sexto mittuntur.<br /><br />4. Already they are not far away from the land, and they see armed men on a high place.<br /><br />Iam a terra non absunt, et viri armati in alto loco vident.<br /><br />(Any other ways in which to say "not far away"?)<br /><br />5. They are kept from the land by men with spears and arrows.<br /><br />A viris pilis sagittisque ab insula prohibentur. <br /><br />6. The men kept throwing their weapons from a high place with great eagerness. <br /><br />Viri eorum tela de loco alto (cum) magno studio iaciebant. <br /><br />(I couldn't put "kept" in there...any suggestions to use continere with this sentence? Participles, infinitve usage haven't been studied yet!) <br /><br />Thanks! <br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Dr. B.L.D P78

Post by bingley »

No. 2, you could try careo = I lack.<br /><br />Cibo vinoque caruit.<br /><br />No. 3. The mistake I always make. Ab is only before a vowel. A before a consonant.<br /><br />Tum Galba et septem alii viri ad insulam antiquam a Sexto mittuntur.<br /><br />No. 4. Shouldn't the armed men be accusative?<br /><br />Iam a terra non absunt, et viros armatos in alto loco vident.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2587 date=1059928196]<br />1. The weary sailors were approaching a place dear to the goddess, Diana. <br /><br />Nautae defessi loco caro Dianae deae adpropinquabant.<br /><br />Good, except use appropinquabant. Prepositions as prefixes often assimilate the next letter to match <br />(ad->ap).<br /><br />2. They were without food and wine. (not using sine)<br /><br />(a?) Cibo vinoque egebant. (I knew not, whether "a" should be used) Literal/Figurative seperation?<br /><br />Perfect. Just remember with verbs of lacking, to not use a preposition.<br /><br />3. Then Galba and seven other men are sent to the ancient island by Sextus.<br /><br />Tum Galba et septem alii viri ad insulam antiquam ab Sexto mittuntur.<br /><br />Good.<br /><br />4. Already they are not far away from the land, and they see armed men on a high place.<br /><br />Iam a terra non absunt, et viri armati in alto loco vident.<br /><br />Viri armati should be accusative viros armatos.<br /><br />(Any other ways in which to say "not far away"?)<br /><br />Non procul perhaps? I'm not sure what vocabulary you have learned...<br /><br />5. They are kept from the land by men with spears and arrows.<br /><br />A viris pilis sagittisque ab insula prohibentur. <br /><br />Good except that you used insula to mean "land." I think you meant to use terra?<br /><br />6. The men kept throwing their weapons from a high place with great eagerness. <br /><br />Viri eorum tela de loco alto (cum) magno studio iaciebant.<br /><br />Eorum should be sua - I would hope that they are throwing their own weapons! ;)<br /><br />(I couldn't put "kept" in there...any suggestions to use continere with this sentence? Participles, infinitve usage haven't been studied yet!) <br /><br />The "kept" is implied by the imperfect tense. You will soon learn the difference in Latin between "did" and "kept doing."<br />[/quote]
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2582 date=1059924460]<br /><br /><br />No. 4. Shouldn't the armed men be accusative?<br /><br />Iam a terra non absunt, et viros armatos in alto loco vident.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />/slaps himself! I am copying from a book, and I did actually put viros armatos... :o<br /><br /><br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2588 date=1059928330]<br />The "kept" is implied by the imperfect tense. You will soon learn the difference in Latin between "did" and "kept doing."<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah, B.L.D says past situation; but I thought, seeing as there was a verb newly introduced "contineo,ère" one had to use this somehow along with iacere. <br /><br />"eorum" should be "sua tela" ! Again, I slap myself. That, admittedly, I did write eorum down :-[ <br /><br />I wrote "ab Sexto" because it sounded better to me...! <br /><br /> ???<br /><br />bingley many thanks for pointing my mistakes out ;D <br />however I doubt that I be able to return the favour!!<br /><br />Steven ;D extra thanks for visible time taken many thanks to you son :o

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2588 date=1059928330]<br /><br /><br />(Any other ways in which to say "not far away"?)<br /><br />Non procul perhaps? I'm not sure what vocabulary you have learned...<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />The most common phrase is non longe abesse ab...

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

bingley <br />No. 3. The mistake I always make. Ab is only before a vowel. A before a consonant.<br /><br />Tum Galba et septem alii viri ad insulam antiquam [i wrote:a[/i] Sexto mittuntur.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />D'Ooge uses ab Sexto in the latin-english sentences. As far as I know, you can't use 'a' before vowels, but you can use 'ab' before a consonant. <br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

yes indeed he does ;D and it sounds better in my opinion<br /><br />ab + Sexto is easier for me to say ;D<br /><br />for "abesse" it says "to be away; to be distant; to be absent"<br /><br />So I just took it as "they are not distant from" to mean "they are not far away from" - or is abesse stricter than that?<br /><br />With abesse, is a preposition used?<br />discedere?<br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2597 date=1059940043]<br /><br />So I just took it as "they are not distant from" to mean "they are not far away from" - or is abesse stricter than that?<br /><br />With abesse, is a preposition used?<br />discedere?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't know how strict 'abesse' is, but I used skylax's version with 'non longe'. <br /><br />You need a preposition if the separation is literal*, i.e. if it's two or more things at different places. <br /><br />Ingrid<br /><br />*Except according to my school Latin textbook which uses no prepositions at all with ablatives of separation, but I've seen no other grammar that does that.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=353;start=0#2597 date=1059940043]<br />"abesse" it says "to be away; to be distant; to be absent"<br />[/quote]<br /><br />"To be distant", but this distance can be tiny indeed...<br /><br />So nunc nobis prope abest exitium "ruin is not far from us" (literaly "for us"), Plauti Aulularia, 2, 3, 8; prope abest = "is near"

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

longe ab eo loco non absum? may be I am not by far distant from that place?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Ita sentio.