Spinoff from Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Spinoff from Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Post by mariek »

Trying to avoid going further off topic in the "Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg" thread... I'm continuing the off topic branch here.<br /><br />[quote author=jeff link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2202 date=1059509026]<br />Now hang on to your chair for this.. Textkit donated our copy of D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book to the Distrubuted Proofreading Project. It'll eventually be posted on Project Gutenberg as a fully digital Latin grammar and it'll be Textkit's first 100% digital grammar download. [/quote]<br /><br />I've heard of Project Gutenberg, I think it's wonderful. I've found some wonderful texts there. Though I have to admit that I have never read a complete book downloaded from their site. I still like doing most of my reading on paper, the old fashioned way. You know, curling up on the sofa with my computer just isn't the same! ;)<br /><br />But what do you mean by this being Textkit's first 100% digital grammar download?<br /><br />I mean, isn't it already available for download here? Or do you mean the first Textkit book available for download on Project Gutenberg? <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Spinoff from Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2189 date=1059505899]<br />Well this book has been WRITTEN by one of the top Latin teachers in the world... http://www.textkit.com/pointer.php?id=108 [/quote]<br /><br />Epis, why don't you tell us how you really feel. ;) <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

I'm a bit of a computer geek (going for a degree in computer programming), so I can tolerate reading on the computer for long periods of time, but I have to agree with you that old ways are best when it comes to reading. Eye fatigue is less of an issue when you are staring at something that isn't rapidly flickering. :)<br /><br />Project Gutenberg is an admirable endeavor. Free e-texts a are wonderful idea, especially good for people who otherwise couldn't read the title. I have read only one complete work online, but it wasn't from Project Gutenberg. The name of the work I read was Animal Farm by George Orwell, which was rather good. I'm in favor of online literature of any kind.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=347;start=0#2528 date=1059813608]<br />[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2189 date=1059505899]<br />Well this book has been WRITTEN by one of the top Latin teachers in the world... http://www.textkit.com/pointer.php?id=108 [/quote]<br /><br />Epis, why don't you tell us how you really feel. ;) Episcopus and Dr. B.L.D sitting in a tree tee hee hee <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I really feel that Dr. B.L.D has to be one of the top Latin teachers ever. Nullum frumentum. <br /><br /><br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Nihil link=board=6;threadid=347;start=0#2529 date=1059817956]<br /> I have read only one complete work online, but it wasn't from Project Gutenberg. The name of the work I read was Animal Farm by George Orwell, which was rather good. I'm in favor of online literature of any kind. [/quote]<br /><br />Don't you find it tiresome sitting in front of the computer to read a book? I can't do this myself. I would print out a few pages at a time to read on the bus. <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

It can be after while, definitely. lol It gave me something to do while waiting for those long compiles to finish. Reading a book online isn't something I'd want to do often, but it was pretty nice. Also, my printer goes through ink quickly, even at its most "economical" setting. :(

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I read "A Mutual Friend" (Charles Dickens) online, after i'd seen it on tv. I couldn't get the book, and it was far too much to print out. It wasn't as cosy as a book (although I could sit in bed with the laptop :), but it was doable (hm, is that an english word?). I tried later with another book, but it wasn't interesting enough. You really have to want to read it.<br /><br />Ingrid

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Nihil wrote:<br />It gave me something to do while waiting for those long compiles to finish.
<br /><br />Well there you have it, you have a good excuse for reading a book on your computer while waiting for something to finish in the background. <br />
<br />Also, my printer goes through ink quickly, even at its most "economical" setting. :(
<br /><br />I've printed whole books before so I know what you mean about paper and ink.<br /><br />And judging from how other people use the printers at work, I actually think we're using more paper now that we're a more "paperless" society. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=6;threadid=347;start=0#2578 date=1059909636]<br />I read "A Mutual Friend" (Charles Dickens) online, after i'd seen it on tv. [/quote]<br /><br />I've never heard of that one. It must be good if you were inspired to seek out the book after seeing it on TV. How did the book compare? I've always found the original book version of any movie to be much much better. <br /><br />I guess you really have to be interested in a book to read it online. Most of the books I'm interested in aren't even available online. <br /><br />Laptops are really cool! I like lounging on the sofa with my laptop and maybe reading a book online. But I can't see myself sitting in bed with it. <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

mariek wrote:<br /><br />Well there you have it, you have a good excuse for reading a book on your computer while waiting for something to finish in the background. <br />
<br /><br />Yeah, I tried doing something else, like playing a game, but this computer is old (by industry standards) and a 2 hour kernel compile can turn into 5 because of the extra processor strain of a game. :(<br /><br />
<br /><br />And judging from how other people use the printers at work, I actually think we're using more paper now that we're a more "paperless" society. <br />
<br /><br />The irony of life is great, isn't it? ;)<br /><br />I think I'll print out part of my book at my school. They have laser printers in the computer labs, so it will go quicker. It's time I started using the printers I've helped pay for. lol

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I agree that online reading can be tiresome. I like to print Textkit books myself. When printing, the quality of the print increases just a tad.<br /><br />I wasn't very clear with the "100% digital download" part. Yes, our files are aleady digital. What I meant was that instead of the file being a series of scanned pages, which makes for VERY large files, the file will be digital text. Just like the ebooks. It'll mean much smaller file sizes and absolutely clear text that can also be searched.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=347;start=0#2744 date=1060035937]<br />It'll mean much smaller file sizes and absolutely clear text that can also be searched. [/quote]<br /><br />Oooooh.... searchable text. That would be very useful. I noticed that I couldn't search through BLD, which seemed odd since I'm pretty sure I've searched through other PDF documents before. <br />

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

We were actually discussing this very subject in the 2nd hand bookshop near me yesterday. I have heard that there is now a book reader device sort of like a PDA with a bigger screen (computer geeks - do you know about this?) Bookshop proprietor said there would be a huge demand for a really easy to read book-sized device that you could read in bed! (With good back-lighting etc). So all you inventive computer people - here is your chance to make zillions of $ ! <br />On the subject of paper usage - I print out my Text kit books on the back of the scrap paper from work, and even then I only use a fraction of the paper we shove in the recycling bin. So much for the paperless office!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

That's what I would like to do, but for some reason the printer at work really does not like used paper. It's OK for short documents (say 2-3 pages) but anything longer than that you get lots of paper jams. >:( >:( It really is not worth the effect on my blood pressure.