Introducing...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing...

Post by Borealis »

Salvete!<br /><br />Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a self-teaching student of Latin and (eventually) Greek, with my goal being to read as much Classical Literature as I can in the original languages, from Homer to the Vulgate. I also expect much slamming of my head against a wall during this process. ;)<br /><br />I'm a Wheelock's student (and I've read the rant thread already), and I'm actually a quarter of the way through the chapters now. Yay me.<br /><br />I just read about a highly-recommended Homeric Greek course, "A Reading Guide to Homeric Greek" in three parts, only the second of which is still in print (does this make even the slightest sense?). I'd love to get hold of this somehow, assuming there are any copies left on the planet...does anyone have any ideas?<br /><br />And then there's my seven-year-old son, who's just starting with Latin now. We're homeschooling, so I'm going to have some learning of my own to do with him (which is half the fun). I'm not sure when to start him on Greek, but I figured I should try to learn it first to at least have an idea of what we're doing. Should I give him a good foundation in Latin first, or jump right into a Greek course alongside the Latin? And, is there a good course in Homeric Greek for young'uns?<br /><br />Looking forward to participating with all of you.<br /><br />Valete!<br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Introducing...

Post by Nihil »

Salve! :)<br /><br />I'm a Wheelock student as well, but I also supplement it with some of the grammars on this site. I'm glad to see you are teaching your son Latin. Anyway, as for your question of when to begin Greek, some believe that a little Latin may help with Greek (because a little foundation in inflected language may speed the process of understanding what all the cases mean), but others disagree. While for myself, I choose to wait until I have a good foundation in Latin first, though I don't see anything wrong with learning Greek alongside Latin. It may be a bit overwhelming to a seven year old since it takes a lot of time to truly learn each. But moving a little slower in each language might solve that problem. Choose whatever method you believe is best for your child. :)<br /><br />Vale!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Welcome! I think that's really cool how you're teaching your 7-yr old son Greek and/or Latin. We know that children pick up languages pretty easily. You would be the best judge to determine whether your son is a quick study and can handle learning two languages at once. If he can pick up both simultaneously, go for it!<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I think a lot of formal systems will teach the latin in the early ages and save the greek for the teens... this allows them to absorb the (easier) latin well before moving on to the (more difficult) greek. But I imagine that a bright child with careful instruction could do both at once! <br /><br />Welcome here.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus