Anyone here reading the Septuagint?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
elisa
Textkit Neophyte

Anyone here reading the Septuagint?

Post by elisa »

I started learning Greek in May, and since I enjoy reading the Bible, particularly in Hebrew, I thought trying to read it in Greek while I'm learning would be a lot of fun, and it is!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm not currently... but I would like to start on that once I'm finished with the Greek New Testament (getting there!). The only problem is that I don't have a printed version of the LXX, just an electronic one.

Which parts are you reading right now?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

elisa
Textkit Neophyte

Genesis

Post by elisa »

I found it online and I've read just a few chapters from the beginning so far. I don't know if you're aware of this, but it's a Jewish custom to read the entire Torah/Pentateuch every year. I've been reading it in Hebrew several years in a row, and this past year I started reading along also in Aramaic, and my goal for this year which starts after Rosh HaShanah is to read along in Greek. Maybe next year I'll try the Latin Vulgate. It might never happen but it's a fun goal.

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

Yes, I have been reading the LXX. I do feel the LXX is the best version of the OT since the NT authors quoted from it 93% of the time when they quoted the OT.

I have Brenton's LXX which has the Greek on one side of the page and his English translation on the other side. I totally recommend getting Peter Papoutsis' translation of the LXX which is just now on the market. www.peterpapoutsis.com

callee
Textkit Neophyte

Post by callee »

I have Brenton's text as well, though note that Brenton relies almost exclusively on the B text (vaticanus). It's not really a critical text. Most of the time I'll use my mini-rahlfs, that little guy published by the bible society. It is more of a critical text, but not completely. For anything serious I'll stop by the library and consult the big mother multi-volume kittel edition, though there is a new full critical text in the works, teh name of which I forget at the moment.

Funny story, once I got in trouble in a class because I was arguing based on this or that LXX text, which I had taken from Brenton. The prof was mystified because his LXX, mini-rahlf, had no such reading. This was early on, before I knew anything about manuscript variations or critical editions or anything. To solve the mystery I brought in my Brenton to show my prof and he opened the cover and laughed at me; see, I had always called him Brenton, I never noticed his first name, but this prof did, and laughing he said "here's your problem, any edition published by a guy named Sir Lancelot!!"

As for the OP, have fun with your septuagint. I found LXX Greek much easier to read after I got Hebrew under my belt. Prior to that the LXX always seemed freaked out, but then I realised that it is kinda just Greek with Hebrew word order, almost.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Started on Revelation about a week ago, doing Latin and Greek comparison for parts that are more difficult. Also learning Hebrew. Shalom!