Textkit Logo

Deep Questions

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

What is your opinion on "deep" questions?

For Deep Questions
88%
Against Deep Questions
13%

Total votes : 24

Deep Questions

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:18 am

I've noticed quite a few "deep" questions on this board, and they seem to generate the most responses, to speak generally. For example, does God exist? are there absolutes? is knowledge certain?

But on the other hand, I notice that some of you in your replies realize that these are questions cannot be answered, and so you are very short and angry in your replies to them.

Thus I ask my own deep question about deep questions: which of these views is more in keeping with your own views? (I've tried to word them both equally strongly)

1. These so-called "Deep Questions" are a waste of time, and the only people who ask them are either sophistic fakes who get an ego boost from talking about things over their heads, or they are simply ignorant and do not realize that their question presupposes a shared base of assumptions which does not exist, or, worse still, these people are just being violently antagonistic to groups who hold different beliefs. Those questions are better which can be solved and agreed upon universally through hard work, and research, and detailed thought--things which the "deep" Sophists are obviously afraid of.

or
2. "Deep Questions" are, and have been for millenia, an important part of a maturing mind, and the people who ask them are sensitive, and inquiring, and open in a way that the bigots who hate deep questions could never understand. After all, it is only through inquiry into these questions that we can discover how deep they are and appreciate how varied the texture of human experience can be. In short, these questions help us to understand others, to mature emotionally, and to examine our own assumptions for inconsistencies--kinds of personal growth and development which the boors who hate deep questions are obviously afraid of.

By the way, if anyone reads this post and does not vote, I am counting his or her vote for #1, since he or she has decided that this deep question is not worthy of an attempted answer, which is the gist of position #1.
Last edited by Pete on Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Postby EmptyMan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:27 am

I'll take number two although I did enjoy reading the first one.
EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:50 am

Hmm, well I think I'll opt for a mix between the two. 2) I think that these sort of questions are really important and should be discussed, as in discussing them you realise what it is you really believe and it's always good to hear other opinions on the subject - but... (there is always a but)... sometimes these discussion do not help much (see 1)). :wink:
But I am more in favour of discussion of course.

Edit: I forgot to say that I think all discussions here are great of course :wink: , just on other sites they sometimes aren't.
:P
Last edited by Emma_85 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yhevhe » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:23 pm

I voted for deep questions... but sometimes they are not really deep, but it's the answer that is deep and interesting. I liked to chat with my brother after he read some pages of a Bertrand Russell (or whatever it's writen ¬¬) book. ^^

Good times they were! :D
Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Postby EmptyMan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:36 am

Yhevhe wrote:I voted for deep questions... but sometimes they are not really deep, but it's the answer that is deep and interesting. I liked to chat with my brother after he read some pages of a Bertrand Russell (or whatever it's writen ¬¬) book. ^^

Good times they were! :D

The "Why I am not a Christian" book? The pastors assitant at my church let me borrow his copy after we got into a discussion on philosophy.
EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Pete » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:54 pm

bah
Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Yhevhe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:30 am

I don't really know 'which' book was it, but I heard from his lips that name, yeah. I just prefer not to touch his books, althrought they seem interesting.
Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Postby MyIlium » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:59 am

It is the romantics, not the skeptics, that make the world go round.
phpbb
MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Postby annis » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:12 pm

MyIlium wrote:It is the romantics, not the skeptics, that make the world go round.

Them arguing makes the world go round. It's the fuel. ;)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Democritus » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:49 pm

annis wrote:
MyIlium wrote:It is the romantics, not the skeptics, that make the world go round.

Them arguing makes the world go round. It's the fuel. ;)

I thought money made the word go round! ;)
Democritus
Textkit Fan

Postby Emma_85 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:45 pm

Well I thought it had something to do with the laws of physics actually... :P
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annis » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:59 pm

Emma_85 wrote:Well I thought it had something to do with the laws of physics actually... :P

Truth!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby dominus sciurorum » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:23 am

Nothing makes the world go around. Everything else revolves around it!
phpbb
dominus sciurorum
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Eureka » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:29 am

dominus sciurorum wrote:Nothing makes the world go around. Everything else revolves around it!

What shape is the world?
phpbb
Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:47 am

Well, we all know that the world is flat and is carried around space on the back of four elephants who stand on the great space-turtle...
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby hotaru » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:19 am

I'll bite on preference for #2
hotaru
Textkit Neophyte

Return to The Academy