Per Aroua Ad Astra

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Per Aroua Ad Astra

Post by mariek »

<br />I caught the beginning of an episode of "Buck Rogers", an old SciFi program, where you see a spaceship called Searcher. The name of the ship is on the outside, and directly beneath it, I noticed the words "per aroua ad astra" and thought it looked very much like Latin. Well I tried working it out:<br /><br />er = through<br />ad = to<br />astra = stars (ACC PL of astrum)<br /><br />I couldn't figure out aroua. Any thoughts?<br /><br />Per aroua ad astra = through _______ to the stars.<br /><br />I took a guess at "space", looked up the word and found spatium. Well that's definitely not it. Hmmmm.<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Per Aroua Ad Astra

Post by bingley »

Ardua not aroua. <br /><br />Per ardua ad astra.<br /><br />Buck Rogers must have pinched it from the RAF. See http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/hrafmotto.html

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2279 date=1059547784]<br />Ardua not aroua. <br />Per ardua ad astra.<br />Buck Rogers must have pinched it from the RAF. See http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/hrafmotto.html<br />[/quote] <br />Neato! I didn't know that was the RAF motto. My dictionary says "per arduum" means upwards, uphill, high into the air. So "per ardua ad astra" should mean high up into the air to the stars. The website however translates it to "through struggles to the stars".<br /><br />As for Buck Rogers, maybe I misread the words on the ship. The lettering was a bit blocky and I could have missed the top part of the 'd' in ardua. <br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

think of per ardua as: through an uphill struggle<br /><br />Ingrid

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

ardua -> arduous ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Why is the phrase "per ardua" feminine, and not masculine as "per arduum"?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2312 date=1059579597]<br /><br />Why is the phrase "per ardua" feminine, and not masculine as "per arduum"?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Actually, it's neuter plural. Arduus/ardua/arduum is an adjective, which can also be used as a neuter noun, meaning "height" or "difficulty". So it's essentially the same as "per arduum", except that there are more than one "arduum" under consideration. <br /><br />Kilmeny

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

It's not feminine, it's a neuter accusative plural so it ends in -a: Through difficulties (lofty things?), to the stars.

sfryer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sfryer »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2312 date=1059579597]<br /><br />Why is the phrase "per ardua" feminine, and not masculine as "per arduum"?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />'ardua' is neuter plural of 'arduum' - "difficulties" rather than "a difficulty."

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Ah.... I see. Accusative plural. Why didn't I think of that? One of these days I will look at a word and just "know" what it is, but I'm not holding my breath.<br /><br />Is per one of those prepositions that always takes the ACC? <br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2333 date=1059589123]<br />Is per one of those prepositions that always takes the ACC? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, that's correct. It is an accusative-only preposition. (I looked it up in the dictionary to confirm that.... some of them, like "in" are sneaky and take more than one case in different situations.....)<br /><br />Kilmeny

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

One of the meanings of the accusative is "motion towards" so most prepositions with that idea take the accusative. "In" means "into" with the accusative (moving) or "in" with the ablative (stationary).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2339 date=1059589863]<br />...some of them, like "in" are sneaky and take more than one case in different situations.....) [/quote]<br /><br />Well that certainly adds a challenge to learning these prepositions. Guess they're just trying to keep us on our toes! In my mind, I think of ABL as the case to use with prepositions, so the ones that take ACC always throw me off.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=vinobrien link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2406 date=1059640778]<br />One of the meanings of the accusative is "motion towards" so most prepositions with that idea take the accusative. "In" means "into" with the accusative (moving) or "in" with the ablative (stationary). <br />[/quote] <br />Thanks for the tip. I will try to remember that tip. Motion = ACC. Stationary = ABL. <br />Except for apud because I can't see how being among people can be seen as a motion towards, unless you think of it as moving towards people in order to be among them.<br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2452 date=1059666398]<br />[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2339 date=1059589863]<br />...some of them, like "in" are sneaky and take more than one case in different situations.....) [/quote]<br /><br />Well that certainly adds a challenge to learning these prepositions. Guess they're just trying to keep us on our toes! In my mind, I think of ABL as the case to use with prepositions, so the ones that take ACC always throw me off.<br /><br />There are actually more prepositions that take the acc. than the abl, but the latter are more common. <br /><br />I learned this list for abl. prepositions, say it out loud, it has a rythm to it:<br />A, ab, abs, de, ex and e,<br />cum and sine, pro and prae<br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2453 date=1059666547]<br /><br />Thanks for the tip. I will try to remember that tip. Motion = ACC. Stationary = ABL. <br />Except for apud because I can't see how being among people can be seen as a motion towards, unless you think of it as moving towards people in order to be among them.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />heh :D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=324;start=0#2460 date=1059677200]<br />I learned this list for abl. prepositions, say it out loud, it has a rythm to it:<br />A, ab, abs, de, ex and e,<br />cum and sine, pro and prae [/quote]<br /><br />Cool! 8) Thanks.<br /><br />