Elucubrator

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Elucubrator

Post by benissimus »

I was curious what your name meant, so I looked it up. I would like to know how in the world did you find such an obscure and interesting word? Do you know its etymology? I am guessing "ex"+"lux" (out of light)... but the "ubra" has me confused.<br /><br />P.S.- I know my name doesn't mean anything '_'
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes. I think that it is a interesting word also. Do you know why this person disappeared. I heard he was a legend like.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Digging up my old posts from the ignorant days... :shock: Elucubrator is a Classicist and he prefers Greek last I heard. He also likes to make disturbing jokes about Santa Claus and chew on his glasses, and that's most of what I know about him. Why did he disappear... too busy or too bored probably.

According to the O.L.D. -
lucubro, -are is ultimately from the verb luceo, -ere "to shine" (from lux, -cis), with an ending as though it were derived from a noun with the suffix -brum (e.g. tenebrae). That ending is sort of odd. The "light" part must be referring to a lamp or candle burning through the night.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

My two cents worth:

lūcūbrātōrĭus , a, um, adj. [lucubro] , of or belonging to a night-student
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”