Textkit Logo

Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Postby PeterD » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi,

It's nice to return to Pharr after a brief respite.

Can someone please check below the E - G sentences? Thank you.

1. All the Achaeans will not shout assent to reverence the priest and to accept the shining ransoms.

[face=SPIonic]a)/lloi pa/ntej )Axaoioi\ ou)k e)peufhmh/sousin ai)dei=sqai q' i(erh=a kai\ de/xqai a)glaa\ a)/poina.[/face]

2. We shouted assent, to free the beloved daughter of the priest.

[face=SPIonic]e)phufhmh/samen a)polu=sai i(erh=oj qu/gatra fi/lhn[/face].

3. To free the daughter of that old man was not pleasing to Agamemnon in his soul.

[face=SPIonic])Apolu=sai qu/gatra e)kei/nou ge/rontoj ou0k h(/ndanen )Agame/mnoni qumw|=[/face].

4. The king sent away that old man harshly, and enjoined a stern command upon (him).

[face=SPIonic]baisleu\j kakw=j a)fi/ei e)kei=non ge/ronta, kra/teron d' e)pi\ mu=qon e)/tellen[/face].

5. Agamemnon did not find the old man beside the hollow ships of the Achaeans, for he did not loiter.

[face=SPIonic])Agame/mnwn ou)k e)kixhsa/mhn ge/ronta para\ nhusi\ koi/lh|si )Axaiw=n, ou) ga\r e)dh/qunen[/face].

In sentences 2 and 3, I used the aorist aspect instead of the present for 'to free.'

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Postby annis » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:49 pm

PeterD wrote:3. To free the daughter of that old man was not pleasing to Agamemnon in his soul.

[face=SPIonic])Apolu=sai qu/gatra e)kei/nou ge/rontoj ou0k h(/ndanen )Agame/mnoni qumw|=[/face].

[face=spionic]e)kei/nou[/face] is not wrong, but here and in sentence 4 you could also just use a form of [face=spionic]o(, h(, to/[/face].

5. Agamemnon did not find the old man beside the hollow ships of the Achaeans, for he did not loiter.

[face=SPIonic])Agame/mnwn ou)k e)kixhsa/mhn ge/ronta para\ nhusi\ koi/lh|si )Axaiw=n, ou) ga\r e)dh/qunen[/face].

[face=SPIonic])Agame/mnwn ou)k e)kixh/sato ge/ronta para\ nhusi\ koi/lh|sin  )Axaiw=n, ou) ga\r e)dh/qunen[/face]

In sentences 2 and 3, I used the aorist aspect instead of the present for 'to free.'

The correct choice in both places, I believe.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:53 pm

Thank you, William. It looks like I fell asleep with sentence 5. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners