Greek script question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chrisp
Textkit Neophyte

Greek script question

Post by chrisp »

Hi, I've just started learning Modern Greek and I know this is a forum for people learning Ancient Greek, but I hope someone can help me anyway. Maybe it is appilicable to Ancient Greek too. It regards the stress accents. I read that they are, as a convention, omitted on words written entirely in capital letters, but my Greek teacher said you can do it. So does this mean it is not wrong to put them in, just rare/odd? Thanks.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

It's wrong to use stress sings on capital letters. It is not done and will look really alien. And I have to add, because there are almost no rules for the accent of a word, that's to say you have always to memorise it, better avoid using capital letters.

Aside from this, there is also another universal rule: you may do whatever you feel like and no one can strain you from this :)

chrisp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisp »

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether it was actually considered "wrong" to use the accents here, or whether it just wasn't the norm.

Baroque1977
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baroque1977 »

Ditto to what ThomasGR said in his post. Capitalized Greek does not mark accents or diacriticals.

-Robert.