Question on Colloquia Familiaria

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
arillio
Textkit Neophyte

Question on Colloquia Familiaria

Post by arillio »

In J. Posselius' Colloquia Familiaria, there is a word I can not find in the Liddell dictionary or elsewhere: qrwpi/an. It is found in the sentence: kuri/os qrwpi/an sou, au)th\, dei=pnon e)lqe/tw.

Any help on understanding the word would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

qrwpw? Well the nearest word that could make any sense is "qroizw" (throizo), murmur, whisper, ripple, sigh, sough, and kind like that.

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

I am sorry that I don't have insight into qrwpi/an. But I am incredibly curious: how did you get a copy of the Colloquia? Do you have en edition that is in the shape to be read and used? Or microfilm? It sounds like an interesting book.

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

unlikely suggestion but... I wonder whether this may just be a case of scribal omission or transposition, so that the word might be
something like [size=150]ἀνθρωπινα[/size], to agree with the [size=150]αὐτη[/size]..??

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

You were quite close in your guess Koala.

I'm still wondering what you're doing reading Possellius, arillio, but here is the answer.

Your sentence is found on page 5v under the topic 'Invitandi ad convivium'. These things are incredibly hard to read since the Greek font is still based on Manutius' type, which in turn relies on numerous scribal abbreviations. It helps to supplement with the Latin on the facing page. The confusion also resulted from the fact that the entire three lines within brackets makes up one sentence, so that qrwpian is actually the second half of a word that is hyphenated on the line above it. So here is how the actual sentence reads, as far as I can make out.

[size=134]κύριός μου[/size] [unintelligible: the Latin equivalent is exspectat] [size=134]φιλανθρωπίαν σεαυτὴν ὅταν ἐθέλῃ ἐπὶ τὸ δεῖπνον ἐλθέτω.[/size]

Best,

arillio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by arillio »

Thanks kind Textkit people for your replies to my question. I have had to recover from a computer crash and so haven't been able to read the replies until now.

The rather beat up copy of Colloquia Familiaria came from a friend to whom I have sent a message asking for details on its origin.

After adz000 pointed out that the answer had to do with a hyphenated word, I was actually able to see a faint hyphenation mark in the text. So, I really apologize.

As for 'what I am doing reading Posselius', adz000, I am sorry but I don't have an answer for that question.

Cheers,