sorry, quick question on Ch.29

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
fancyfree
Textkit Neophyte

sorry, quick question on Ch.29

Post by fancyfree »

HEy All,
I just started Ch. 29 and I was a bit confused because the topic is imperfect subjunctives but there seem to be both passive and active forms, and in the back there were no forms that corresponded exactly to their paradigms. Anyone have any light to shed?
Thanks.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: sorry, quick question on Ch.29

Post by benissimus »

fancyfree wrote:HEy All,
I just started Ch. 29 and I was a bit confused because the topic is imperfect subjunctives but there seem to be both passive and active forms, and in the back there were no forms that corresponded exactly to their paradigms. Anyone have any light to shed?
Thanks.
What exactly do you mean "no forms that corresponded exactly to their paradigms"? The active imperfect subjunctive is identical to the infinitive + person endings (-m, -s, -t, -mus, -tis, -nt) and the passive imperfect subjunctive is identical to the infinitive + passive endings (-r, -ris, -tur, -mur, -mini, -ntur); having both sets is essential to any verb which has an active and passive system. Any translation of a word in the imperfect subjunctive by itself is deceptive, since the meaning is determined by the type of subjunctive clause in which it resides. If you are talking about the index in the back of the book, you should find the forms of the imperfect active subjunctive on page 453 and the imperfect passive subjunctive on page 454.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae