I am studying....

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

I am studying....

Post by mariek »

I tried to make this a POLL, but encountered an error. >:(<br /><br />I was just curious to find out what everyone here is studying:<br /><br /><br />I am studing....<br />a) Greek<br />b) Latin<br />c) Greek and Latin<br />d) Neither<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

c)

Post by Emma_85 »

well i'm not at uni yet, but i'm learning greek and latin at german abitur level (like A levels or minor degree in the US).

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:I am studying....

Post by Milito »

B), because my A) is now too rusty to be considered even a little bit usable, and I haven't gotten around to fighting with the university about equivalencies and double credits and all that....<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I am avidly studying Latin, and will be beginning my third semester of college Latin in August. I am very interested in Ancient Greek as well, but I am a little too busy to be packing new forms into my head. I have a very long list of languages I plan on learning, but I think I'll take it one at a time so I can appreciate each one individually ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I am learning Greek, but not in any formal setting.<br />It is hard to make great strides in my studies because of other obligations, but I am enjoying it even if it is going a bit slower than it would for most people.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Open University second year Greek, having done all the Latin they have a couple of years ago. I've just finished the University College London Summer School in Classics, Advanced Latin, and enjoyed it hugely.

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

Latin at undergraduate level, with plenty of self-study assistance. Enjoying it rather more than I expected.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I've just started studying Latin on my own which is kinda nice since I get to go at my own pace in stead of being prodded like cattle. Besides, I am more motivated to learn when it's something of my own choosing rather than feeling like I'm "forced" to do it.<br /><br />So far the Language Score Card is this :<br /><br /> Greek 3<br /> Latin 5<br /><br />Which is not surprising since there are so many more messages posted in the Latin forum than in the Greek forum. <br /><br />I also like to look at the stats on this forum. I notice that business has picked up, there are more members registering, and more members online. We did pretty good on 7/16 with 12 members online. Let's try to beat the May 2003 record of 16 !!!<br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I'm studying Latin too, also on my own. I've had Latin at high school, so most of the work now is pronunciation (hardly touched on at school) and composition (school Latin was translation only).<br />I've tried Greek, but I've never had Greek at school (could have, I'm sorry now that I didn't do it), and it is quite hard. So I'm concentrating on the Latin now, and will try Greek later.<br /><br />Ingrid

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

Latin only for now.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Greek, Greek, Greek!<br /><br />Working slowly through Homer. And some Hesiod from time to time, so that I can get started on the Aoidoi.org Theogony. Other random poetry as the mood strikes.<br /><br />Just got the Latin Harry Potter to force myself to get back to Latin, which language I regard as a tool to better understand the introductions/praefationes to Greek texts. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

William Annis wrote:<br />Greek, Greek, Greek!
<br /><br />OK, you realize this only counts as one towards the Greek count .... :) <br />
<br />Just got the Latin Harry Potter to force myself to get back to Latin, which language I regard as a tool to better understand the introductions/praefationes to Greek texts. :)
<br /><br />I'm totally ignorant of Greek. How does Latin help you with Greek?<br /><br />Language Score Card :<br /> Greek 4<br /> Latin 7<br /><br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=257;start=0#1601 date=1058580650]<br />[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=257;start=0#1600 date=1058575313]<br />Just got the Latin Harry Potter to force myself to get back to Latin, which language I regard as a tool to better understand the introductions/praefationes to Greek texts. :) [/quote]<br /><br />I'm totally ignorant of Greek. How does Latin help you with Greek?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />It shouldn't especially, but when I get a good edition of, say, Homer, the introduction will be written in Latin. So will the notes about variant readings at the bottom of the page.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Greek, seulement.<br /><br />Did Attic Greek many years ago as an undergrad. These daze it's Homer and the tragedians, on my own.<br /><br />-Paul<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=257;start=0#1603 date=1058582252]<br />It shouldn't especially, but when I get a good edition of, say, Homer, the introduction will be written in Latin. So will the notes about variant readings at the bottom of the page.<br />[/quote]<br />So you're saying the book is in Greek, but the intro is in Latin. Now why in the world would they do that?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Because most of the printed scholarly editions were produced at a time when it could be assumed that anyone who knew Greek also knew Latin. Then it was easy to see what was commentary and what was text if they were in different languages. Also it was the practice when translating Greek to translate all the naughty bits into Latin to protect sensibilities.<br /><br />As far as the survey is concerned, put me down as a C.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I'm a C too.<br /><br />It was a lot easier in those days, when Latin was the academic lingua franca. Now one has to have a reading knowledge of English, German, French, Spanish, Italian (and Dutch of course ;)).

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

all of the above.<br /><br />re: intros in latin... I have the all-greek version of Aland's new testament synopsis... the text is in greek (of course), the notes are in latin, and the intros are in german... to an all-english speaker, this is quite the adventure ;)<br /><br />i also have a greek-latin new testament, in which all intros and notes are in latin. fun times. it sure does make it tough to read the introduction, but I find that it helps me--if nothing else, it is fantastic motivation to keep learning.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />If I tallied it up correctly...<br /><br />Language Score Card:<br /><br /> Greek 8<br /> Latin 10<br /><br />I really should figure out how to create a "poll" on this forum.<br /><br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=257;start=15#2154 date=1059459737]<br />Also it was the practice when translating Greek to translate all the naughty bits into Latin to protect sensibilities. [/quote]<br /><br />Naughty bits?<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Ptolemaios link=board=6;threadid=257;start=15#2162 date=1059475020]<br />It was a lot easier in those days, when Latin was the academic lingua franca. Now one has to have a reading knowledge of English, German, French, Spanish, Italian (and Dutch of course ;)).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Eeeks!<br /><br />But I'm American, and of course we think everybody should use only English. ;)<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=257;start=15#2175 date=1059490358]re: intros in latin... I have the all-greek version of Aland's new testament synopsis... the text is in greek (of course), the notes are in latin, and the intros are in german... to an all-english speaker, this is quite the adventure ;) [/quote]<br /><br />I've always wanted to learn German. Maybe I'll tackle it after Latin. German was never offered at my high school, so I took French instead. I had a friend who wanted to learn German, she ended up leaving for another high school which offered German.<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Sure. Lots of naughty bits (sex) in Aristophanes, lots of homosexual references in Greek lit., accidentally on purpose not translated or mistranslated or left in the decent obscurity of a learned language (i.e., Greek or Latin, which women and the lower orders couldn't read).

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

I'm studying only Latin right now, but Greek sounds interesting, and I'm looking into learning it eventually.

merytdjehuty
Textkit Neophyte

Post by merytdjehuty »

I'm concentrating on Latin and egyptian heiroglyphs at the moment, but I wouldn't mind learning german, russian, or perhaps greek. i learnt italian in high school for 5 years. just curious, but are there any members here from/in Australia? Where is everyone else from?<br /><br />bright blessings,<br />Merydjehuty

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Egyptian heiroglyphics sound interesting. Are you thinking of going to Egypt to explore the various sites one day?<br /><br />I have wanted to read Iliad and the writings of Plato in their original Greek, so I might pick it up soon -- once I have a firm grasp on my Latin. Having studied a little ancient Greek culture in school, I have most of the alphabet memorized along with their phonetic sounds, so at least that obstacle has already been overcome. :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=merytdjehuty link=board=6;threadid=257;start=15#2405 date=1059640731]<br />i learnt italian in high school for 5 years. just curious, but are there any members here from/in Australia? Where is everyone else from?<br /><br />bright blessings,<br />Merydjehuty<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm from America, but I would like to study English Literature at Oxford University, in England, someday. I'm homeschooled, looking at getting an undergraduate degree in English here in America first. <br /><br />I'm studying French, Latin and classical Greek right now, but I would like to learn Koine Greek, German, Dutch and Italian one day. <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=257;start=15#2505 date=1059778122]<br />I'm studying French, Latin and classical Greek right now, but I would like to learn Koine Greek, German, Dutch and Italian one day. <br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />From what I've been able to discover, post BA studies in Classics require the ability to read in German plus French or Italian.... This is why I'd like to learn to read in German (since I can read French already), which is why Episcopus scares me with his comments about some parts of its grammar.....<br /><br />Kilmeny