&#!#$ genitive case

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
elduce
Textkit Member

&#!#$ genitive case

Post by elduce »

I understand the other cases but the genitive gives me a lot of trouble.

What does this read:
Virorum nostrorum magnorum animos curae bella superabant.

Of the men of our of the greats...I wish Wheelock had spent more time explaining each case.

I have trouble firstly because I can't figure out the 'curae bella' relation and secondly that three word genitive phrase. (Why in hell did they create a noun like bellum and an adjective like bella?)

What is a good way to translate a sentence especially with confusing neuter cases with identical nominative and accusative forms?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: &#!#$ genitive case

Post by benissimus »

elduce wrote:I understand the other cases but the genitive gives me a lot of trouble.

What does this read:

Of the men of our of the greats...I wish Wheelock had spent more time explaining each case.
virorum "of men" is a noun; nostrorum "our" and magnorum "great" are both adjectives, do not translate magnorum/nostrorum as though they were nouns. Both adjectives agree with the same noun, so together the three words mean "of our great men". I am not sure your confusion was with the genitive so much as agreement of adjectives - perhaps it would be best to brush up on that area of the chapter.
I have trouble firstly because I can't figure out the 'curae bella' relation and secondly that three word genitive phrase.
The easiest way to figure out the meaning at this point is to determine the subject and direct object (the verb, superabant, should be obvious):

There are two candidates for direct object, animos and bella, since either could be accusative. However, animos must be accusative, therefore it is the direct object.

There are also two candidates for subject, curae and bella, since either could be nominative as well as plural (to match the plural verb). bella can only be accusative or nominative, and since the accusative spot in this sentence is already taken by animos, bella cannot be accusative; therefore bella is nominative and the subject.

Now, perhaps I am overlooking something, but this sentence appears odd to me. The sentence is fine so far, except this curae still exists. curae could be nominative plural, genitive singular, or dative singular. We can cross off nominative plural since we already know the subject is bella, but of the other options neither one makes much sense. Assuming there are no typos here, curae must mean "of care" or "for care". It would make more sense if it read curae belli "concerns of war" or just cura (abl.) "with care".
What is a good way to translate a sentence especially with confusing neuter cases with identical nominative and accusative forms?
I hope my above explanation was not too thick. By process of elimination, looking at all the nouns and determining the cases that you are certain about, you can almost always figure out which of the identical terminations a neuter noun is using.
Last edited by benissimus on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Re: &#!#$ genitive case

Post by Rhuiden »

elduce wrote:What does this read:
A partial translation would be ..... "The cares.....were overcoming the spirits of our great men."

The "bella" is throwing me also as I would expect it to be "belli" and then it would read "the cares of war...".

I am just a beginner myself (just finished ch. 7 in Wheelock) so I hope someone with more experience can fill in the rest.

Rhuiden

elduce
Textkit Member

thanks

Post by elduce »

Thank you Benissimus and Rhuiden for the help.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

"the wars of (personal) cares overtake our great men" ?

as in, their personal worries are affecting leadership? perhaps?

aot
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aot »

The wars of worry conquer the spirit of our greatest men.

perhaps?