Latin Study Group using Wheelock

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Would you participate in a study group using Wheelock?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:55 am

Yes
80%
No
No votes
Maybe
20%

Total votes: 5

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Latin Study Group using Wheelock

Post by Rhuiden »

Anyone interested in starting a study group?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

I would join it if someone DID start it. Am I correct in saying that there is no Latin study group?

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

me me me

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

yes :)

but i'd need to buy the books before hehe

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

classicalclarinet wrote:Am I correct in saying that there is no Latin study group?
We have no Latin groups at all yet.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

I would join it if someone DID start it. Am I correct in saying that there is no Latin study group?
We have no Latin groups at all yet.
Actually, there are many online Latin study groups but not at textkit. It may be wrong of me to advertise for other websites using this forum, but the education and the needs of my fellow Latin students always come first. A Latin study group based on Wheelock 6th edition will be starting soon in October. Please see the following:

http://www.ravendays.org/latin/lists/activities.html

group: Wheelock 2004 Beginners: (WH2004 Viridis)
Text: Wheelock's Latin, 6th ed., ISBN 0060956410
Coordinator: Tim Haas
Assignments:
First assignment due Tuesday, October 12

And if I get enough responses, I will start a new study group using M&F for those who are interested in an accelerated group.

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

So, Rhuiden, are we gonna form a study group or what?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

clavicula_magica wrote: it may be wrong of me to advertise for other websites using this forum
It's not wrong at all. The only thing that I find rude is when someone creates an account solely for the purpose of advertising and outside group or resource and does not participate in this forum. I'll delete those posts.

jeff
Textkit Founder

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for letting me know the policy.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

hey, is there going to be a group or not? I've not touched the text for quite a while now so I fear I've forgotten much. :P

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

So, Rhuiden, are we gonna form a study group or what?

If there is to be a Latin study group formed, someone other than me would have to organize it. With church, work, and family, I do not have the time necessary to do it properly. Is there anyone who might be willing to tackle this task?

Rhuiden

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I wish I could but I am really very busy and am behind on some projects which I already got myself into. I could help look over assignments and give explanations/advice, but I don't have the time to organize a curriculum and present the whole thing as an instructor.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Excuse me for intruding on hallowed Wheelock territory :oops: but if you’re not going to form any other group, what about a small Horace study group?

The syllabus would consist quite simply of 5 well-known odes (numbers 1.4, 1.5, 1.9, 1.11 (the carpe diem one) and 4.7. Objective: to get to know them thoroughly. The poems speak of love, time and nature and are easily accessible to modern sensibilities despite the occasional classical allusion. They don’t turn up in most readers because editors are afraid Horace’s word order is too difficult for us. It’s not true.

The general idea would be to hone Latin skills and end up with a ’joy for ever’. We could also include a couple of Catullus poems for variety.

Is it difficult to ’organize’ a group. What’s the normal procedure? Do we need an ’instructor’? I know these poems more or less inside-out myself (only as enthusiastic amateur :D of course) if that’s any help.

Just a thought.

Int