Latin-English dictionaries

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Latin-English dictionaries

Post by amans »

I consider buying a Latin-English dictionary. I know that the options are legion, and that one's choice is dependent on a multitude of things: level of study, areas of interest, price etc. Still, I'd love to hear some opinions about dictionaries. What are your personal experiences in this matter, which ones have you liked or disliked etc.? Please share your thoughts :-)

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Personally, if I were buying one now I'd try to get one that emphasised the logical connections between the various meanings. If you have 30-odd meanings for one Latin word, and 4 or 5 translations for an English word, then it would be nice if you could tell which word is used in which context. What, for instance, are the connotations of each word - how do interficere, interimere, occidere, necare, iugulare and caedere relate to each other? What about the 20 or so words I have so far learnt for "to think, to consider"?

What I would like is a Latin version of this book. Something to tell me how the words I'm learning fit together.

So if anyone knows of a dictionary like that, I think we could all stand to know where to find it.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

I own a current version of "Elemntary Latin Dictionary" by Lewis and Short. For me, at this point, this is a perfect book because it's easy to use. I don't need a more extensive book right now and this one is fairly inexpensive, well regarded, etc. So far it hasn't let me down but I find I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would, as I have access to the online version of its big brother. But when I sit doiwn at the desk and read, it's oh so handy! It answers my question and points the way to more when I get to that stage. I still hate the general Latin Dictionary organization but that's a different issue.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Cassell's Latin Dictionary has served me well from day one of Latin. Elementary Lewis or Lewis & Short would probably be even better, though more expensive.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae