M&F Answer Key

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Baroque1977
Textkit Neophyte

M&F Answer Key

Post by Baroque1977 »

I am interested in creating an answer key for the exercises in Moreland and Fleischer. I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in helping with this... namely, people who would like to make contributions and help with proof reading and the like.

Thanks!

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

I could help. I got M&F about a month ago, but only started working through the exercises yesterday. I have previous experience with Wheelock, though. I'm typesetting my M&F answers in TeX anyway and I could easily convert them to PDF when done.

I'm also in my first semester of college, however, so I don't know exactly how much help I would be able to contribute.

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

I just got M&F two days ago. I'm using it to complement my college Latin so I will be working my way through the entire book. Having an answer key would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I can post my own solutions to the exercises but they would need to be corrected by someone with more experience.

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

I think we need to agree on some conventions about translation to reduce the workload of the answer key. Two issues come to mind, about genitives and datives:

1. When the genitive indicates possession, should we translate it using of or using apostrophes?

2. When the dative is an indirect object, should we translate it using to? For example, the difference between I gave the man a book and I gave a book to the man. Both are acceptable English and transmit the same idea, but I tend to use the first variant when speaking and, consequently, writing.

Baroque1977
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baroque1977 »

Hi!

Thanks for all the replies.

A good point you brought up. I think that more literal translations are best, so that people can see connections to the latin constructions more easily. A good balance between literal and colloquial is probably ideal. Context will also help determine. There can be discussion about individual instances.

-Robert

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

1. When the genitive indicates possession, should we translate it using of or using apostrophes?

2. When the dative is an indirect object, should we translate it using to? For example, the difference between I gave the man a book and I gave a book to the man. Both are acceptable English and transmit the same idea, but I tend to use the first variant when speaking and, consequently, writing.
I should say anyone using M&F to teach themselves Latin should be able to figure out the meaning, unless we definitely want to adopt one system solely for the sake of consistency.
I can post my own solutions to the exercises but they would need to be corrected by someone with more experience.
Ditto. Specifically the English to Latin parts. Definitely need some checking up though (and, given my eccentric word order, perhaps some rearranging).

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

I should say anyone using M&F to teach themselves Latin should be able to figure out the meaning, unless we definitely want to adopt one system solely for the sake of consistency.
The consistency aspect is what I was going for.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I think consistency would is a good thing.

And I actually prefer a more "literal" translation -- I gave a book to the man rather than I gave the man a book -- to start with, so beginners can better learn how Latin sentences are constructed. I know the latter sounds more natural and it is the version we would tend to speak or write. Perhaps we can start with the literal translation (mentioning both variations), and then later transition into the more colloquial version?

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

As I completed M & F earlier this year, I don't mind helping out. It would make a useful review from time to time.

Vardigon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: M&F Answer Key

Post by Vardigon »

Is there any word on this answer key? Where can I find it? Is it compiled somethere?

pep_8
Textkit Neophyte

i need help

Post by pep_8 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3okCRhn-s
Im a beginner at latin and need some help. could someone tell me the latin in the song......
my email is akapep@hotmail.com

lshowman
Textkit Neophyte

Re: M&F Answer Key

Post by lshowman »

These posts are quite old, so perhaps people have found the existing M&F (incomplete) key. Since I do not have a history of ten posts yet, I can't post the link but it can be found through Google.