Hey everyone

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Hey everyone

Post by Nihil »

I'm a beginner in Latin, and I'm using a combination of Wheelock's Latin and D'Ooge's Latin For Beginners to learn. I look forward to getting to know you all. :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Hey everyone

Post by klewlis »

hey, welcome here!<br /><br />(i've only been here since yesterday and i already feel like i belong... must be a good sign ;)<br /><br />i've got wheelock too, although i confess i haven't cracked it in several months... must get back into that. glad to see that there are lots of beginners like me.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Thanks for the the welcome. :)<br /><br />I looked around for other books other than Wheelock's Latin to do some comparison, but the only books my bookstore carried other than Wheelock were Latin for Dummies and various Latin dictionaries, so of the books there, Wheelock's appeared the most scholarly. But looking around this board, there appear to be better books out there. Hopefully the combination of the two books I'm using will serve me well. :)<br /><br />And you're right; the atmosphere of this place seems friendly.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yeah... wheelock seems to be the classroom standard at least. I haven't tried any others. I think I'm going to order 501 Latin Verbs as well... I sometimes have difficulty with irregular verbs and such, so I'm hoping that will help (next best thing to an actual instructor, I guess ;).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

My bookstore has that book and it looks interesting. I know that when I studied Spanish in school its Spanish equivalent came in handy. I memorize things like verb conjugations better when they're in charts and paradigms.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Welcome Nihil! Just like you, I'm also a beginner in Latin. I'm using D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners. <br /><br />Take a look at the Rant against Wheelock's Latin thread. viewtopic . php?t=53. It's very interesting. That's where I learned about Moreland & Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course which many people here consider one of the best Latin books available. <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Hey Mariek, thanks for the welcome and the reference to the thread. It makes me glad that I am supplementing Wheelock with other texts and grammars. If I can't find Moreland & Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course, then I'll look on Amazon for it. :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />M&F is definitely on Amazon. I've added it to my Wish List. :)<br /><br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Well, that's good. :) I'll definitely pick it up. The more references the better in my opinion.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Hey, and welcome in!<br /><br />I used Wheelock to learn, and found it very good. D'Ooge has some... zealous... supporters here, and though I haven't looked at it in detail, it's been helpful, too. I have M&F, and use it as a great reference, and am also using Bennett's Latin Grammar, which is also available here. Bennett isn't a learning book, so much as a reference book, and although it's Saharan-dry, it's another good place to dig for answers to questions...<br /><br />In case you hadn't guessed, I'm with you - the more references the better...!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=332;start=0#2439 date=1059662018]<br />Hey, and welcome in!<br /><br />In case you hadn't guessed, I'm with you - the more references the better...!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'll chime in on that note too. All grammars have their pro's and con's because they have different goals and target audiences, so it's worthwhile to shop around and find the book that's right for you and your learning environment.<br /><br /><br />
Textkit Founder

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Thanks for your input Jeff and Kilmeny. :)<br /><br />I've added Latin: An Intensive Course to my wishlist and hope to pick it up soon. On finding it, I used the "look inside this book" feature to check it out, and what I like most is how the book presents a clear and concise explanation of the verb tenses. I know most of the grammatical terminology, but I was a little hazy on the specifics. I find its presentation quite good. It presents most of the verb tenses almost immediately, which I think is better. It looks like a good text, and the rest of it is apt to be well written as well.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Nihil link=board=6;threadid=332;start=0#2390 date=1059631294]<br />Well, that's good. :) I'll definitely pick it up. The more references the better in my opinion. [/quote]<br /><br />I agree. I'm just waiting for positive cash flow.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=332;start=0#2439 date=1059662018]<br />D'Ooge has some... zealous... supporters here [/quote]<br /><br />Really? I only know of one... ;) <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=332;start=0#2468 date=1059696346]<br /><br />I agree. I'm just waiting for positive cash flow.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Same here. I'll probably pick it up within a few weeks. Ah, the life of a student.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hi! Welcome to Textkit! <br /><br />I'm a beginner in Latin, too. (I'm also a beginner in Greek, but I've been studying it a full three weeks longer than Latin. :)) I've been using D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners and the Beginner's Latin Book, by William C. Collar and M. Grant Daniell. Good luck with your Latin! <br /><br />Keesa