Cool Picture of OLD Latin!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Cool Picture of OLD Latin!

Post by Milito »

A while back, William Annis introduced me to the Oxyrhynchus Papyri project, and I was digging around on the site yesterday. It linked off to a parent site, which contained yet more Oxyrhynchus papyri. In that part of the site was a page called "A Millenium of Documents", (http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibiti ... ame_hi.htm), and that in turn, three lines from the top, has a picture of a Latin letter (Syneros to Chius). If you go look at that, and then click on the small picture of the papyrus fragment that comes up, you actually see a letter which appears to have been written during the reign of Augustus :o and you get to check out Latin as it was written then! It is actually pretty clear to read, the only trick being figuring out what the letters are, since they've changed a mite over the past 2000 years.... But it's truly cool to look at, and try to sort out! (Syneros very kindly put dots between the words so that you could tell where they ended.....)<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Cool Picture of OLD Latin!

Post by klewlis »

funky.<br /><br />if anyone has trouble finding it because of the frames (as I did, lousy frames), the direct link to the picture is http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibiti ... /e3.jpg<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

frames are evil.
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Agreed. <br /><br />Nice one! This is class...and I caught the final word "facere"! =faire<br /><br />It looks more like Greek than Latin! The capital DELTA, or at least it looks like that, is there : )<br /><br /> :o

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

It does look so much like the letters are mutated Greek ones! That was one of the cool things about it! I'm now wondering if this is because the guy who wrote the letter generally wrote in Greek, or if all Latin letters looked that way..... But it's hard to find other pictures of Latin papyri with enough clear print available to compare it with.....<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

latin letters do look more like greek<br /><br />or, latin word order<br /><br />look more like greek the latin letters

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

atque cum interpunctione Latina....<br /><br />look.more.like.greek.the.latin.letters<br /><br />

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I've a job at the Leiden Institute of Papyrology, so this wasn't the first original text I ever saw, but it's a very fine example. Usually these texts are scraps with only a few letters legible.<br />Most papyri are in Greek though, because most official documents in Egypt were written in Greek.<br /><br /> Eu)/xomai se e)rrw=sqai <br /><br />Ptolemaios

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2344 date=1059591000]<br />atque cum interpunctione Latina....<br /><br />look.more.like.greek.the.latin.letters<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />whoa! how is that? is there even a verb there :o

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2305 date=1059572737]<br />A while back, William Annis introduced me to the Oxyrhynchus Papyri project, and I was digging around on the site yesterday. It linked off to a parent site, which contained yet more Oxyrhynchus papyri. In that part of the site was a page called "A Millenium of Documents", (http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibiti ... ame_hi.htm) ... [/quote]<br /><br />What's a really really neat site! Thanks for sharing this. It's really beautiful, even though I can't read any of it. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2306 date=1059574838]<br />if anyone has trouble finding it because of the frames (as I did, lousy frames), the direct link to the picture is http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibition/images/e3.jpg [/quote]<br /><br />That was very thoughtful of you to provide this direct link to the image. The site is very difficult to manoeuvre around! <br /><br />I found links to a few more fragments on this page http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibiti ... ame_hi.htm.<br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Wow, that is very interesting! :D Their alphabet does look a bit different than ours. I noticed the delta as well.<br /><br />I can pick out a few words from it at glance such as "facere." "necat," and "itaque," but I'd hate for our modern texts to be written in that way.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Of course, I'd also have difficulty in making out the letters in Old English! <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Yeah, I know what you mean. A while ago I was looking at a site about Old English, and I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Luckily, when I read Beowulf in school, it was completely in Modern English. Old English reminds me of Icelandic with the thorn character, eth character, and the "ae" ligature in its alphabet and all. Old English also seems much more Germanic as well, which isn't surprising since most of its literature was written before the Normans conquered them and introduced Norman-French. If you like seeing old literature from different cultures (including Latin), you can find alot of it here: http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/augustana.html<br /><br />But anyway, It's sad to see most of those texts are severly damaged, but that's to be expected after many centuries.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Here is my reading of the letter. Italics are for the letters I hope I've read correctly without being sure of which word it is. Dots are for letters I can't read. Please correct me !<br /><br />(1) Suneris Chio suo plur(imam) sal(utem dicit) Si v(ales) b(ene) ...co reduxsit ad me ohapim<br />(2) regium mensularium Oxsyry(nchensem?) .mitem qui quidem mecum est locutus<br />(3) de inprobitate ipaphrae s. Itaque nihil ultra loquor quam<br />(4) ne patiarus te propter illas perire Crede mihi, nimia bonitas<br />(5) pernicies homin[ib]us est vel maxsima Deinde ipsi tibei demo(n)strabit<br />(6) qu[a]e rei sit qum illum ad te vocareis set perseuera<br />(7) Qui de tam pusilla summa tam magnum lucrum facit<br />(8) dominum occidere volt Deinde ego clamare debeo si quid video<br />(9) deuom atque hominum<br />(10) tuum erit uindicare ne alio libeat facere<br /><br />Remarks<br />- the "x" has always been written "xs"<br />Line 4 : PATIARUS = PATIARIS ?<br />Line 5 : TIBEI = TIBI<br />Line 6 : QUAE REI should perhaps be QUID REI ? -- VOCAREIS = VOCA(VE)RIS "you will have called" -- SET = SED<br />Line 8 : VIDEO : I'm not sure at all...<br />Line 9 : ALIO must be DAT sing instead of ALII. It is very infrequent but it can be found.<br /><br />I add an attempt of translation in French. I'm sure someone could translate it into English... It is something about top financiers. "Dallas" in the Ancient World.<br /><br />"Suneris salue bien son cher Chius. Si tu vas bien, c'est bien. ...co a ramené chez moi Ohapis (?), le banquier royal d'Oxyrhynchos, un homme bien doux (?) qui m'a certes parlé de la malhonnêteté d'Ipaphra (?)... c'est pourquoi je ne te dis rien d'autre que (ceci) : ne souffre pas de te perdre pour ces (femmes)-là. Crois-moi, une bonté excessive est pour les hommes une très grande (source de) ruine. Ensuite, il te montrera à toi-même de quoi il s'agit (?) lorsque tu l'auras appelé auprès de toi, mais tiens bon ! Celui qui tire autant de bénéfice d'une si dérisoire somme (d'argent) veut tuer (son) maître. Ensuite Je doit crier, si .... des hommes, ce sera ton rôle de faire une réclamation (en justice) de peur qu'il ne plaise à un autre de le faire."

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Right on, Skylax!!<br /><br />I've been thinking I should do this, but haven't gotten around to it - mostly because I'd want to work from paper, and haven't tried to print it out.....<br /><br />A weekend project, for sure! (And in the mean time, I can brush up on some French by reading yours!)<br /><br />Kilmeny<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Ptolemaios link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2350 date=1059593181]<br />I've a job at the Leiden Institute of Papyrology, so this wasn't the first original text I ever saw, but it's a very fine example. Usually these texts are scraps with only a few letters legible.<br />Most papyri are in Greek though, because most official documents in Egypt were written in Greek.<br /><br /> Eu)/xomai se e)rrw=sqai <br /><br />Ptolemaios<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Oh dear.... I think I'm jealous. I've been wondering how one gets into papyrology...........<br /><br />Kilmeny

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2359 date=1059597360]<br />[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=326;start=0#2344 date=1059591000]<br />atque cum interpunctione Latina....<br /><br />look.more.like.greek.the.latin.letters<br /><br />[/quote]<br />whoa! how is that? is there even a verb there :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />No, Episcopus, there isn't. :( I used an incomplete sentence.... "And with latin punctuation"<br /><br />Kilmeny

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

a (very) free translation of Skylax's french ... <br /><br />Suneris warmly greets his dear Chius. If you are well, that’s good. …co has brought Ohapis to my place, the royal banker of Oxyrhynchos, quite a gentle fellow, who has spoken to me most assuredly of the dishonesty in Ipaphra … that’s why I’m telling you this only: don’t allow yourself to be corrupted for these ladies. Believe me, an excessive amount of goodness in a man is a sure way to ruin. Further, he will show you personally what it’s about, since you will have called him to you, but hold tight! He who derives so much benefit from such a paltry amount of money, wants to kill his master. Further, I must protest, if men’s … , it will be your job to lodge a (legal) complaint, lest no one else wants to do it.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Thank you so much ! :) Now let's wait for amendments and additions. This text is allusive, so I don't understand fully the point of the story. Maybe the addressee had borrowed (from a servant??? - or is it a special meaning of dominus?) a little money at a very high interest rate?<br /><br />Now, wait and see.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

It took me a few hours, but I've checked the picture, the transcription and the English translation. With help from the P. Oxy.-edition, I've come up with the following emendations:<br /><br />l. 1 Suneris > Suneros; the i isn't curved.<br />l. 1 ...co > Theo; what was read as a c has a small horizontal line in the middle.<br />l. 1 reduxsit > adduxsit<br />l. 1 ohapim > Ohapim (as in the translations, it's a name)<br />l. 2 Oxsyry(nchensem) . mitem > Oxsyrychitem<br />l. 3 ipaphrae > Epaphraes (another person)<br />l. 3 add [no] at the end (crossed out).<br />l. 4 illas > illos; at first, I read illas too, but the a is more triangular (e.g. ad in l. 1).<br />l. 5 maxsima > maxsuma<br />l. 5 ipsi > ipse (because of a small curve at the bottom and an equally small horizontal line it can't be a i).<br />l. 6 qu[a]e > qut<br />l. 6 persevera > perservera (read: persevera)<br />l. 9 Crossed out is the following text: fidem.si.tu.[.].ista.non.cuibis<br /><br />In this edition, the translation is:<br />Syneros to his friend Chius very many greetings. If you are well, fine. Theon brought to me Ohapim, the public banker of Oxyrhynchus, who spoke with me concerning Epaphras' wickedness. Therefore I say nothing more than "do not let yourself come to ruin on their account". Believe me, excessive generosity brings disaster, perhaps more than anything else, on men. He himself will show you later the meaning of the affair when you have summoned him to you. But stick to it: he who makes so great a profit from so trifling a sum is willing to kill his master. Then I ought to cry out, if my perceptions are to be trusted, "Heaven and earth!" It will be your task to exact punishment lest it prove attractive to another to do it.<br /><br />[size=150]εὔχομαι σε ἐρρῶσθαι<br /><br />Ptolemaios

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Well done !<br /><br />Here is the text with your emendations :<br /><br />(1) Suneros Chio suo plur(imam) sal(utem) Si v(ales) b(enest) Theo adduxsit ad me Ohapim<br />(2) regium mensularium Oxsyrychitem qui quidem mecum est locutus<br />(3) de inprobitate Epaphraes Itaque nihil ultra loquor quam [|no|]<br />(4) ne patiarus te propter illos perire Crede mihi, nimia bonitas<br />(5) pernicies homin[ib]us est vel maxsuma Deinde ipse tibei demo(n)strabit<br />(6) qut rei sit qum illum ad te vocareis set perse{r}uera<br />(7) Qui de tam pusilla summa tam magnum lucrum facit<br />(8) dominum occidere volt Deinde ego clamare debeo si quid video<br />(9) deuom atque hominum [|fidem.si.tu.[.]ista.non.cuibis|]<br />(10) tuum erit uindicare ne alio libeat facere

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Some more remarks:<br />some editors prefer to read b(enest) in l.1;<br />'dicit' is never added in l.1, I think because it is a often occuring phrase.<br /><br />The original publication was in the Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies 17 (1970), p. 136 sqq. More backgroudn information there.<br /><br />Skylax, since you showed some very acute reading skills and a knowledge of the Leiden Bracket System, may I assume you have some experience in Papyrology?<br /><br /><br />Ptolemaios<br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

ok. Dicit has been deleted. -st has been added to bene.<br /><br />
may I assume you have some experience in Papyrology
<br /><br />Say interest...<br /><br />Moreover, I have gained some experience in reading 17th-18th century AD documents as I help friends making up their genealogy.<br /><br />Nothing formal.<br /><br />[size=150]ἔρρωσο

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Thanks very much to Ptolemaios and Skylax for all their work on hammering out what exactly the words on the papyrus are and what the translations are, and to Koala as well, for translation! I very much appreciate the work you've all put in on it!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

There's an interesting hand written 159 page Latin book on ebay - it's possible that it interest some persons here :D<br /><br />http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tegory=269<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I WANT IT!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I just wanted to say that I think it's fascinating the way you all bounced ideas around and added and changed words and meanings for each other until you came up with something that made sense! Call me a beginner, but I couldn't even read the letters on the papyrus! :'( Ah, well. There's time to learn! <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=326;start=15#3027 date=1060257589]<br />I just wanted to say that I think it's fascinating the way you all bounced ideas around and added and changed words and meanings for each other until you came up with something that made sense! Call me a beginner, but I couldn't even read the letters on the papyrus! :'( Ah, well. There's time to learn! <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Part of the papyrus problem is the shape of the letters. They're quite different from the ones we're used to now. I could pick out some words, but that was mostly because I could recognize part of them from tripping over them a time or six in studying, and figure out what the letters (probably) were..... Nothing like Skylax or Ptolemaios, though! The "s" keeps throwing me, big time!<br /><br />Kilmeny