BLD Ex118 Pg50 Dialogue

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
mariek
Global Moderator

BLD Ex118 Pg50 Dialogue

Post by mariek »

<br />I'm having trouble with a small portion of the dialogue, the sentence that starts with "apud". It's quite complex, and after trying different things, I've come up with this as the English translation:<br /><br /> Women prepare food and plow fields, and fight among free men to help them.<br /><br />This is the original portion of the dialogue:<br /><br /> Non agricolae sunt. Bellum amant galli, non agri cultivam. <br /> Apud eos viri pugnant et feminae auxilio liberorum agros arant parantque cibum.<br /><br />Did I translate this correctly? I feel as though they rearranged the position of words, and it seems like words that are nomally grouped together are moved further apart. Is this true or am I just imagining this?<br /><br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:BLD Ex118 Pg50 Dialogue

Post by ingrid70 »

I'm afraid you are imagining it ;)<br /><br />viri = nom plu (or gen sing) and liberorum = gen plu; you can't combine them. <br /><br />In this sentence, the word order is almost the same as in english:<br /><br />among them, the men fight and the women, with the help of the children, plough fields and prepare food.<br /><br />Liberorum can be both an adiective, but there is no accompanying noun in this sentence; or a noun meaning children.<br /><br />Hope this helps<br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=346;start=0#2531 date=1059820638]<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />among them, the men fight and the women, with the help of the children, plough fields and prepare food.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yay ;D I read that first time 'by means of the help of the children'... <br /><br />-it starts to increase in difficulty! Soon you will be reading Perseus Andromedaque! <br /><br />it's really all about making sense of it as the text in Latin is OFTEN ambiguous :o

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=346;start=0#2531 date=1059820638]<br />In this sentence, the word order is almost the same as in english:<br /><br />among them, the men fight and the women, with the help of the children, plough fields and prepare food.<br /><br />Liberorum can be both an adiective, but there is no accompanying noun in this sentence; or a noun meaning children. [/quote]<br /><br />One of my downfalls was that I was stuck on the idea that liberorum was an adjective.<br />And I never imagined that "apud eos" was one unit. I had a tough time trying to get "eos" to fit in somewhere. But it seems so obvious now that you've shown me how to read it through like English, from left to right.<br /><br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=346;start=0#2602 date=1059941587]<br /><br />But it seems so obvious now that you've shown me how to read it through like English, from left to right.<br />[/color]<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Things are always obvious once you know the answer :).<br /><br />Ingrid

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

is vir est servus et eius domicilium est in silvis Galliae

i translated this way :

that man's a slave and the dwelling place of him is in Gaul's forests

can it be : that man's a slave and his dwelling place is in Gaul's forests , right ?

i do know both have the same meaning, but which one has better translation according to the original latin sentence ?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Meowth wrote:is vir est servus et eius domicilium est in silvis Galliae

i translated this way :

that man's a slave and the dwelling place of him is in Gaul's forests

can it be : that man's a slave and his dwelling place is in Gaul's forests , right ?

i do know both have the same meaning, but which one has better translation according to the original latin sentence ?
The second one is better English, the genitive of "he" is "his" in English.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

oh no ! i'm now forgetting my english... :oops:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

we sometimes say "of him", but it usually corresponds to the Latin objective genitive rather than the possessive genitive.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

BTW, is vir est servus et suum domicilium est in silvis Galliae is correct ?

is vir : subject
servus : direct object

:?:

thanks for replying ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Meowth wrote:BTW, is vir est servus et suum domicilium est in silvis Galliae is correct ?
eius or suum may be correct. eius domicilium means the house belongs to another person, suum domicilium means the house belongs to himself.
is vir : subject
servus : direct object
the verb esse cannot have a direct object, both are in the nominative because the "man" really is "the slave"; two things that describe the same person/thing typically remain in the same case.

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

thanks for clarifying :)