Literary Terms and Devices

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

Literary Terms and Devices

Post by Dean »

I know I am asking for a lot, but has anyone seen a listing of literary terms used in Greek and Latin literature. In explaination, let me use the example "chiasmus." At least I think this is spelled right. Anyway many of the same literary terms are the same in Greek and Latin. I personally have never seen them all listed anywhere or defined anywhere either. Another one is "The Golden Line." Any help with this would be appreciated. This would also be a good paper or document for textkit I think, but I can't remember all of them.<br /><br />Dean

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Literary Terms and Devices

Post by bingley »

Is this what you're looking for?<br /><br />http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/FOREST.HTM<br /><br />

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

There's also a list in the Greek grammar by Smyth.<br /><br />Ptolemiaios

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

And I stumbled upon this link:<br /><br />http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classic ... ic.html<br /><br />Ptolemaios

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Suddenly I'm convinced of how important Euphemism really is.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I'm afraid I don't understand that last remark, :-[.<br /><br />Ptolemaios<br />

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Read the entry for Euphemism. You will.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I know what euphemism is and I've read the entry too, but still I can't see the euphemism (only a metaphor).<br /><br />Ptolemaios

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Let me, by thorough explanation, deflate what was a simple passing remark. The description of the burnt body that Tom Wolfe describes at length is extraordinarily unpleasant. The euphemism "burned beyond recogntion" is therefore important to me because it allows enough factual content to be communicated to me without causing nausea. My original posting was intended to be a light, witty comment indicating some interest in, even gratitude for, yours. I will, of course, endeavour to be clearer with you on similar points in the future.<br /><br />To conclude, may I add that I rejoice at your understanding of euphemism, which I hope extends to litotes and meiosis, and also that I can see no metaphor in the passage but, rather, a simile.