Year of Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses last rev.?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Year of Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses last rev.?

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

Would anyone know the year of Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb last revision? I have found a copy based on the 1889 edition. Would that year be the last revision year?

Thank you.

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Year of Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses last re

Post by annis »

PeterD wrote:Would anyone know the year of Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb last revision? I have found a copy based on the 1889 edition. Would that year be the last revision year?
Wow. It would appear that it is.

My H&H A Commentary on Homer's Odyssey's bibliographical abbreviations list has this ( the "^2" means a small, superscript "2"):

Goodwin, Syntax : W.W. Goodwin, Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb, London, ^2 1889, repr. London, 1956, 1966.

That to me means the second edition is 1889, and that that's the version still reprinted.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Between Goodwin's Greek Grammar and his Syntax this guy was always banging out a new edition of something. The last year I'm aware of is the 1889. That' seems to be the standard edition from which the modern Bristol reprint was made.

My earliest copy is a 5th edition, 1875. The transformation from this edition to the 1889 is dramatic. The book is almost double is size.
Textkit Founder