Latin "r"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Latin "r"

Post by Keesa »

I'm confused about the pronunciation of the Latin "r"-am I supposed to roll it, the way you do in French (bonjour, au revoir), or leave it short, the way you do in English (or, short), or does it matter? <br /><br />Keesa

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Latin "r"

Post by Skylax »

It doesn't really matter. Italian is maybe the nearest to Latin in pronouncing "r".

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=319;start=0#2170 date=1059485505]<br />It doesn't really matter. Italian is maybe the nearest to Latin in pronouncing "r".<br />[/quote]<br /><br />so then, how does italian do it?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

They roll it. Remember "Bona seRRa, SignoRRina..."

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

that's unfortunate, since i am physically incapable of rolling my r's. (well, "physically incapable" may not be exactly true... but i remember trying and trying as a child and as a spanish student and being entirely unable to do it...).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I don't roll the "r" either. I pronounce the "r" like in French. Pronounce it like it is pronounced in your native language. It doesn't matter.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=319;start=0#2183 date=1059492978]<br />I don't roll the "r" either. I pronounce the "r" like in French. Pronounce it like it is pronounced in your native language. It doesn't matter.<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :o<br /><br />Your Latin is awesome...but how is it possible that "regina" is "chegina"?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

My Latin is a written language. But be sure that, from now, for your ears' sake, il will shout REGINA like a true Roman, and the walls will come tumbling down.<br /><br />Audisne vocem meam ? :)

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

puto te audivisse. But I'm a little closer to you I think :)<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

audio. est magna et causa multae tristitiae in casã meã. <br />nunc gallinae meae tibi nõn favent quamquam lingua tua sit bona...cogito...nam ego semper Latinè dicere nõn possum, sed mox dicam...<br /><br />et mater et filius sunt infirmus eõ vir qui finitimum domiciliõ episcopi saepe vocãbat. eõ episcopõ ã Skylax nocèbãtur.<br /><br />(All that I can say = translate Skylax!!)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Did I harm the bishop ? :-[

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

non laetus sum

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi klewlis, if you can't roll the letter r now, it doesn't mean you can't learn. one of my friends went to live in indonesia for a year, where not being able to roll the r is considered a speech impediment. but she couldn't do it at all... after a month's practice on her own though, she got it perfectly.<br /><br />it's worth trying... cheers, chad. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

They definitely rolled it, but probably not to the degree of the Spanish double-r. The fact that the letter R's nickname was the littera canina for the sound it makes is evidence enough.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae