Pharr: Lesson 17 (line 19.4)

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Pharr: Lesson 17 (line 19.4)

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

It's Saturday night and i am studying Greek. Now that is cool!

In line 19.4 of the Iliad, Pharr (and Benner) have ἐύ instead of εὖ. P.A. Draper and greekgeek.org have the latter.

Which one is it?

If it's the former, do I scan it as two short syllables?

Thanking in advance (the usual suspect, of course :D ),

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Peter,

Cool indeed!

I made line 19 word 4 agree with OCT version of Iliad 1 = εὖ. But as you say, Pharr, Benner (and Loeb edition) have ἐύ.

I suppose everyone's got his own canon. I try to make greekgeek.org texts agree with OCT.

It's interesting that entry in Cunliffe shows OCT form and ἐΰ with diaeresis over upsilon, leaving little doubt as to the number syllables in this form of the word. :)

If I've got my scansion right (always questionable), then 4th foot in OCT scans as spondee, but in Pharr, ktl as dactyl.

Cordially,

Paul

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Thanks, Paul.

I think I can live with either form. :wink:

Now, back to my English - Greek translation exercises for tomorrow we commence, in addition to the Iliad, Xenophon's Anabasis. O The Ten Thousand Greeks!

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis