Basic's of Biblical Greek: workbook

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

Basic's of Biblical Greek: workbook

Post by John L »

I just ordered the workbook that is from Mounce, and it is the workbook that goes with the Textbook of the "Basic's of Bibical Greek." Has anyone here used it? Is is any good? What ways will it help me? I have already been through the textbook and I have reviewed it a number of times to get as much out of it as I can. It has been a blessing! But I still need to get a better grasp on the basics before I move onto second year Greek.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Good Move. I've been using it along with the textbook, (first time through). You'll really enjoy it. The newer version of the wkbook is better too. The "Warm ups" focus on the concept you just learned. I really enjoy the advanced section also. Mounce introduces several points inductively through the Wkbook, that he doesn't directly deal with in the Textbook. I'd suggest reading your chapter summaries and vocab before each lesson so you'll be on the lookout for something Mounce is trying to get across inductively.

I've been thinking about reading the book straight through a couple of times and then going back and studying where I left off. Any suggestions?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Geoff wrote:Good Move. I've been using it along with the textbook, (first time through). You'll really enjoy it. The newer version of the wkbook is better too. The "Warm ups" focus on the concept you just learned. I really enjoy the advanced section also. Mounce introduces several points inductively through the Wkbook, that he doesn't directly deal with in the Textbook. I'd suggest reading your chapter summaries and vocab before each lesson so you'll be on the lookout for something Mounce is trying to get across inductively.
Working through the workbook was the highlight of the lesson for me.
I would not suggest to go on to another grammar before having completed the workbook.
Geoff wrote:I've been thinking about reading the book straight through a couple of times and then going back and studying where I left off. Any suggestions?
Do you mean reading the rest of the chapters of the grammar?
My experience was that looking ahead a couple of chapters was overwelming and discouraging.
Maybe you are not as squeamish as me.

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

Geoff,

I have been through the textbook a couple of times and then I have picked out sections that interest me the most or those areas that I am still not as familar with as I would like to be and I study those sections. I feel I have just reached that point where I need something else to lift up to that next level from where I am at. I keep reviewing sections but I am just hitting that mental block right now where I am not learning as much as I was. I figured that workbook would help me break through that. I figured it will get me doing some exercises that will help.

As far as your question about moving foward some and then coming back to where you were, that may help you if you are finding yourself getting bored, or if you feel like you are moving too slow. I have to do that sometimes just to keep from feeling like I am not learning at a pace I should and I am getting a little burnt out. It can help break the mood. I actually am considering moving on to 2nd year Greek now even though I have not learned everything to perfection.

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

I don't think I could get by without the WBook and yes also for me it is the highlight of the chapter. It shows you what you really know and what you need to go over. Also it is a constant review, because he incorporates naturally all the other chapters you did already up to that point, and also pushes you because he adds some words in there you don't even know yet, so you use the lexicon. I thank God he made the WorkBook to go with the TextBook. So, Id really encourage you to go through the whole textbook again, even briefly, but make sure you can at least pass the Workbook as if you were testing yourself. Bill says that's the way to use the Workbook, just like you were taking a test. He has the answers to the WB on his site, so you can instantly see how you did.
Best to you, with your studies John!
Jimmy Montesano

grok
Textkit Neophyte

Post by grok »

Just got a call from the book store, my mounces and accompanying workbook are in! Woohoo!

Now the question is, do I have enough money <i>before</i> pay day to go get it. LOL

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

I have the workbook now and also I got his "Graded Reader" volume. I have been going through both because I do feel ready for 2nd year. I figure even though I go through the workbook and his basic grammar again I will still continue to review it over time. So far I am really enjoying the workbook because it is giving me exercises to work with. I am not writing in the workbook so I can continue to use it over time. If I have to I'll just make copies of what I do need to write on.

BadDog
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BadDog »

John,

FYI my 1st year Greek class used Summers - which is OK but just not as good as Mounce's IMO. Mounce's is kinda the standard for 1st year Greek, and the workbook, which I bought a copy of for review, is exc..

Sounds like you're ready for that 2nd year.

BD

cole
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cole »

I'm learning all by my lonesome self, so the workbook is essential for me. But do realize that the workbook answers have quite a number of mistakes, which you should be able to spot.

John L mentioned the Graded Reader. I was told that the jump from BBG to Graded Reader is quite big, and was recommended A Summer Greek Reader by Goodrich/Diewert before using Graded Reader.

Bene
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bene »

I used Mounce in my first year course. The workbook was generally good, but I found that the examples Mounce made up, usually numbers 11 and 12, were difficult and confusing because they did not follow the pattern of actual ancient greek. We used the Graded-Reader in my second year course. It was more like the next step rather than a big jump. However, that may be because for the last portion of my second year we translated 1, 2, & 3 John along with John 1. If you have a good grasp of Mounce, in my opinion you are ready to move on.