translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Wiggly
Textkit Neophyte

translation

Post by Wiggly »

Can someone please help me translate this part from fabulae faciles?

Interea ea dies appetebat quam Iason per nuntios edixerat,
et ex omnibus regionibus Graeciae multi quos aut rei novitas
aut spes gloriae movebat undique conveniebant. Tradunt
autem in hoc numero fuisse Herculem , Orpheum, citharoedorum praeclarissimum, Theseum, Castorem et multos alios quorum nomina notissima sunt. Ex his Jason, quos arbitratus est ad omnia subeunda
percicula paratissimos esse, eos ad numerum quinquaginta
delegit et socios sibi adiunxit. Tum, paucos dies commor-
atus, ut ad omnes casus subsidia compararet, navem deduxit
et tempestatem ad navigandum idoneam nactus, magno cum
plausu omnium solvit.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

surely a translation of the passage would not amount to the standard definition of 'help'? what is/are the problem(s)?

~D

Wiggly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wiggly »

sorry about that, I've tried to translate it as best I can and so far I have this:

Meanwhile that day Jason was seeking by means of what the messengers had said, and out of all of the many areas of Greece, they were moved either by something new or hopes of glory, and came together from all sides. Moreover having been delivered in this number was Hercules, whom many with authority have written of, Orpheus, Theseus, Castor, and many others who's names are not well known.

Can you please tell me what parts of this aren't correct?

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

well ea dies is a subject, and it's in the feminine which means it's specifically an appointed day (which shoiuld help you with edixerat). appetebat is intransitive. multi is a subject and therefore goes with conueniebant. quos introduces a relative clause in which both nouitas and spes are subjects. tradunt means 'they say' and introduces indirect statement. you are generally on the right lines so far, though considering the above should remove your mishaps.
ualeque,

~D

Wiggly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wiggly »

Thanks for the advice. I haven't read over the translation and changed anything yet, because I just finished. Here's the whole thing:

Meanwhile that day Jason was seeking by means of what the messengers had said, and out of all of the many areas of Greece, they were moved either by something new or hopes of glory, and came together from all sides. Moreover having been delivered in this number was Hercules, whom many with authority have written of, Orpheus, Theseus, Castor, and many others who’s names are not well-known. Out of them Jason decided those who were the most prepared to undergo dangers, and he chose fifty of them who he joined himself to as companions. then having stayed for a few days in order to prepare the opportunity for all of the men, the ship launched, and having found that the season was suitable to about have been sailing, they set sail with much applause.

please tell me if you see anything else wrong with it.

EDIT: I've looked over the first sentance and changed it. So far I have this:

Meanwhile on the day that had been designated by the messengers...

I still cant figure out how to Iason or appetebat into it, however.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

there aren't any real problems with that, no. be careful not to omit anything, or change number from sing. to pl.. for the phrase tempestatem...nactus, translate, 'when he has obtained weather suitable for sailing'. nauigandum is a gerundive.

~D