How much do you all review?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

How much do you all review?

Post by Jimmym »

Hi all
I am at chapter 19, chapter 20 looks intense. Back to my question. I have been constantly reviewing the vocab throughout the book as I go on. But I'm finding as I'm adding to the memory slots, as Bill says, I am forgeting things like the paridigm for the relitive pronouns and other things. How often should I review? How do you all do the review of chapters, or do you at all, review chapters?
I am amazed I made it this far and I'm doing as well as I am, God is good, I asked a prayer of Him to open my mind to be able to do this, and the Lord is answering my prayer. It is just getting harder and harder as I add more and more info, especially verbs. I never heard of 3/4 of these names, indicitives, imparitives and so on.
Be blessed in your studies and thanks in advance for any replies.
Jimmy Montesano

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Hi Jimmy,
I do review quite a bit.
Repetition is what makes it stick in my mind so every once in a while I have to go back and go over it again.
You'll find that you won't have to review the earlier chapters as much any more. Chapters 6 and 7 will likely seem like a piece of cake to you now.
What I found especially helpful was doing the exercises of the work book again.
Whishing you all the best.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

write out the paradigms at least weekly until it becomes ingrained in your head. That is how the ancients did it, that is how I do it. Surprisingly enough, it works!

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: How much do you all review?

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

Jimmym wrote:I am amazed I made it this far and I'm doing as well as I am, God is good, I asked a prayer of Him to open my mind to be able to do this, and the Lord is answering my prayer.
Oh sure, blame God for your intelligence..

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Re: How much do you all review?

Post by Jimmym »

Titus Marius Crispus wrote:
Jimmym wrote:I am amazed I made it this far and I'm doing as well as I am, God is good, I asked a prayer of Him to open my mind to be able to do this, and the Lord is answering my prayer.
Oh sure, blame God for your intelligence..
O hope you are joking.
If you were not joking I'll explain why I am giving the Lord the Glory for opening my mind up, and if you were joking I'll give a brief testimony about myself.
I only went to the 8th grade, and just about made it through that far. I just about could remember peoples names and am not very smart, school wise that is. Here I am at about 250 word vocab. and at chapter 19. So, yes I give God the glory and will never be ashamed of that. That said it does take hard work, but I'll give him the glory for giving me the time to do it also.
Jimmy

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Keep up the hard work and keep on giving God the glory.
I am a beginner myself, just a little further along. (I finished Mounce and now am working through Pharr.) I (and many others as well) am more than willing to help you so keep asking questions.

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

Bert wrote:Keep up the hard work and keep on giving God the glory.
I am a beginner myself, just a little further along. (I finished Mounce and now am working through Pharr.) I (and many others as well) am more than willing to help you so keep asking questions.
Hi Bert thanks for the kind words, I have question or two for you. Why didn't you go further in Koine Greek, or is the Pharr book, I think he called Homeric Greek, close to Koine Greek? How long did it take you to finish Bill's book?
I always hear people going to Wallace's book after they are through with first year NTG. I thought most did that. What is your goal with learning Greek?
My goal for now anyway is to be able to at least translate what text I'm studying, & then hopefully be able to read, Possibly at first, "A readers Greek New Testament" by Goodrich and Lukaszewski. And maybe someday a regular GNT.
Bye for now, Jimmy

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Jimmym wrote:
Bert wrote:Keep up the hard work and keep on giving God the glory.
Hi Bert thanks for the kind words, I have question or two for you. Why didn't you go further in Koine Greek, or is the Pharr book, I think he called Homeric Greek, close to Koine Greek? How long did it take you to finish Bill's book?
I always hear people going to Wallace's book after they are through with first year NTG. I thought most did that. What is your goal with learning Greek?
My goal for now anyway is to be able to at least translate what text I'm studying, & then hopefully be able to read, Possibly at first, "A readers Greek New Testament" by Goodrich and Lukaszewski. And maybe someday a regular GNT.
Bye for now, Jimmy
If you have worked through Mounce, you should be able to read the GNT without having the english right there (the temptation to cheat with such a volume is too great!). I recommend starting with just the GNT--it will be difficult at first but will become easier as you work through it. Start with the simpler books like the Johns and the gospels. I keep an english Bible handy in case I need to check things as I go. You will inevitably come across some problem constructions, and that is where Wallace comes in. Wallace will also help you to have a more thorough understanding of the cases et al. Also, if you haven't already, buy Kubo's "Reader's Lexicon", which is invaluable: it is the volume from my greek studies which I have used the most.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Jimmym wrote: I have question or two for you. Why didn't you go further in Koine Greek, or is the Pharr book, I think he called Homeric Greek, close to Koine Greek?
The reason I went from Koine to Homeric is the hope that it will help me read Greek without the crutch of being familiar with the NT.
When I did translation exercises from the GNT, very often I found that part way through I would recognize the verse.
With Homeric Greek I translate something (The Iliad) that I have never read before. This forces me to really read the Greek. I plan to do considerable reading of Homer then go to Classical Attic.
Jimmym wrote:How long did it take you to finish Bill's book?
I always hear people going to Wallace's book after they are through with first year NTG. I thought most did that.
I probably did the first 20 chapters in half a year but the next 15 took close to a year. They are harder plus some time gets taken up reviewing.
And, like almost everybody else, I had other obligations that took time.
I have Wallace's GGBB and I do use it. It is very good.
Jimmym wrote: What is your goal with learning Greek?
My ultimate interest is being able to read the GNT.
Jimmym wrote: My goal for now anyway is to be able to at least translate what text I'm studying, & then hopefully be able to read, Possibly at first, "A readers Greek New Testament" by Goodrich and Lukaszewski. And maybe someday a regular GNT.
I don't know this reader. I use "Refresh Your Greek" by Perschbacher.
It is very helpful but it is hard to get a hold of.
Kubo is available and I take Klewlis' word for it that it is good.
Klewlis is right about reading Greek with the English right there.
I tried it for a while, and I still do occasionaly, but using Perschbacher is more successful.

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

Bert wrote
Perschbacher is more successful.

Bert what book are you talking about, I did a search and found an anylitical lexicon and another book with Matthew & Mark in it. Can you let me know what book please in case I ever see it?
Jimmy

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

I have studied Greek for a little over a year now. I used different Greek grammar courses and did an online course. All that helped, but nothing has helped as much as Mounce's grammar. I have reviewed his textbook about 3 times and now I am going through a 4th time with the workbook. Each time has gotten better and better. But I have picked up the habit of reading Greek everyday whether it be from the GNT or LXX.

I have been blessed this year with the time to study Greek very intense. My job has been God sent for the simple fact that I am able to read alot. Flashcards have been very helpful for me to learn vocabulary words. I have also memorized prayers like the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary, and also some various passages of Scripture that I have always known in English.

All I know is that it takes a continuous effort, with repetition and also use different techniques just to avoid burn out.

My goal has been to learn Greek well enough to where I can read it as good or if not better then English. I know that will take more years, but I think learning God's Word in the most important Biblical language is well worth it!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Jimmym wrote: Bert what book are you talking about, I did a search and found an anylitical lexicon and another book with Matthew & Mark in it. Can you let me know what book please in case I ever see it?
Jimmy
Title: Refresh Your Greek
Subtitle: Practical Helps for Reading the New Testament
Author: Wesley J. Perschbacher
Printer: Moody press

After you have gone through Mounce, you will know all the words that occurr 50x or more. Refresh your Greek gives the meaning and parsing helps of all the others in footnotes, or if it has noted it already, it refers back to that text.
I take this to Church. I have it in one of those bible-covers that zips up so it looks like a Bible to everyone else.
There is another book with a similar description. The title escapes me but it is available. The only negative point I've heard about this one is the version of the Greek text it uses. This is important for scholars but for people like us it is only of secondary importance.
I'll try to find info on it and let you know.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
This book gives helps with words occurring 30x or less.

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

New Testament Greek Syntax: An Illustrated Manual by Perschbacher,
Wesley J.
Bert, or anyone Is this book above good? It's a big book, I think close to 500 pages. What does the book help with. I could not find the book you mentioned anywhere Bert. If anyones know where I can get a copy of the book Bert mentioned please let me know.
Jimmy

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Jimmym wrote:New Testament Greek Syntax: An Illustrated Manual by Perschbacher,
Wesley J.
Bert, or anyone Is this book above good? It's a big book, I think close to 500 pages. What does the book help with.
I don't know this book but I've read a positive review on amazon.
You may want to check this book out on amazon and read some reviews.
Jimmym wrote:I could not find the book you mentioned anywhere Bert. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of the book Bert mentioned please let me know.
I've tried different places, all out of stock.
Some online book stores, including amazon, let you place an order for a used book. Try that. E-bay has the same option.
Sorry that's all I can help you with.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Here's something useful (hopefully)

Take the summary from Mounce's website

http://www.teknia.com/public/pdf/Summary.pdf

Print it 4 to a page. Cut it evenly and use a comb binder to put it together with a small comb (Add cardstock covers if desired). Run through it throughout the day (pumping gas, grocery line, etc). Sometimes just browse. Sometimes scrutinize. When you see something you feel weak in go back and read that section. Add handwritten notes. It fits in the pockets of most coats and some pants.

Hope this helps.

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Geoff
Thanks Geoff, I didn't know that page was on Mounce's site. Thanks for your help, keep up with your studies until you finish Mounce's book, and of course study some more :)
By the way I found a great book that is great when your done with Bill's book It's called "A Summer Greek reader $10.49 at Amazon
It has a 12 week plan. With each week having six days with of a few verses a day with three parse's to do. On the 7th day he gives approx. 30 new words under the 50 frequency. At the end of the 12 weeks you are down to a 20 word frequency count. And ready for 2nd year Greek, with either Bill's reader, which is under 20 word frequency, or possible another book.
Thanks again for your help, here's the link to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0310236 ... eader-link

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

My plan is to go back through Mounce and follow Track Two then the Summer Reader like you said then Mounces.

I think starting over would be a good review and the track two would solidify verbs with the exercises. Thanks for the link.