H & Q Unit 10 English to Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H & Q Unit 10 English to Greek

Post by bingley »

Could someone help me check these English to Greek sentences please?

The themes of this unit are:
1. Third declension nouns and adjectives
2. omicron contracted verbs
3. verbs contracted in the future
4. result clauses
5. compound verbs

1. Let us order the priest to leave all the goats for the mother of the king in order that she may sacrifice on behalf of the soliders who won. (Express the purpose in two ways)

[size=200] τὸν ἱερέα γε πάντας τοὺς αἶγας τῇ τοῦ βασιλέως μητρὶ λιπεῖν κελεύωμεν ἵνα ὑπὲρ τῶν νενικηκότων στρατιωτῶν θύῃ. ὡς ὑπὲρ τῶν νενικηκότων στρατιωτῶν θυσούσῃ. [/size]

2. Do you think whoever is not conquered in the contests worthy of a prize or a crown? (Express the relative clause in two ways)

[size=200]τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ἀγῶσι μὴ νικῶντας οἵ ἐν τοῖς ἀγῶσι μὴ νικῶνται ἐκείνους ἄθλου ἢ στεφάνου ἄξιοις;[/size]

3. The horsemen were so well taught by the old men as to be thought worthy of prizes and gifts in all the contests.

[size=200]οἱ ἱππεῖς ὕπο τῶν γερόντων οὕτω καλῶς ἐδιδάχθησαν ὡ/στε ἐν πᾶσι τοὶς ἀγῶσι ἀθλῶν καὶ δώρων ἀξιοῦσθαι. [/size]

4. By Socrates' being willing to die on behalf of virtue we are taught to do good.

[size=200]τῷ τὸν σωκράτη ὑπὲρ τῆς ἀρετῆς τελευτῆσαι ἐθέλειν τὰ καλὰ πράττειν διδασκόμεθα.[/size]

5. The fathers of the soliders called out of the city fell into order of battle so that at least the small houses were saved.

[size=200]οἱ τῶν ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ἐκκληθέντων στρατιωτῶν πατέρες ἐτάξαντο ὥστε αἱ οἰκιαὶ αἱ μικραί γε ἐσώθησαν.[/size]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

May I congratulate you for this fine job. You master the result clause very well! Some comments :

1. κελεύωμεν present if it has to happen regularly or if this action can be delayed : aorist κελεύσωμεν if it happens only once, especially if there is no time to waste doing it. (I read that a French archaeologist which wanted a stone to be turned upside down asked his Greek workers for it in Greek using a present imperative : the worker began, so the story goes, turning the stone upside down and again upside down and again and again. They would have done it only once if they had been asked in the aorist imperative. Se non è vero, è ben trovato)

νενικηκότων this perfect perfect participle is of course perfectly justifiable here, but it smells like Polybius and the Koine. I think the aorist νικησάντων would be also acceptable, referring to a past story rather than a present situation.

2. « being conquered » : νικωμένους ορ [face=SPIonic]ἡττωμένους - note the accent on ἀξιοῖς

3. Well done.

4. You translated rather – in perfect Greek – « by the fact that Socrates was willing… » - I would say ὑπὸ σωκράτους ... ἐθελήσαντος, « under the influence of Socrates which was willing… »

5. Well done. Nice form ἐτάξαντο middle with a passive meaning.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks again, Skylax.

I did dither for quite a while about whether to use a perfect or aorist participle in No. 1, but I've forgotten now why I went for the perfect in the end.