Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Post by Alundis »

Is anyone experienced with this textbook series? It is a graded latin reader which uses the "direct method". It is written entirely in Latin--there are no notes or translations in English. All vocabulary is supposed to be fully comprehensible from context along with the diagrams and pictures. The Lingua Latina website has some sample pages.<br /><br />This site highly recommends it: Latin by the Dowling Method Basically his method is to first memorize all the inflections thoroughly, then to work through Lingua Latina. It seems too good to be true, but two years are recommended to complete it, which is a long time... What do you guys think?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg

Post by Episcopus »

http://www.textkit.com/pointer.php?id=108<br /><br />I could never force myself to remember anything, it would just end up being forgotten. In this grammar, B.L.D goes through it slowly at first, picks up and all through the book you're learning different conjugations with many aspects other than inflections along the way.<br />Well it's my favourite ;D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yeah I know this is an old question, but they're all new to me ;)<br /><br />This series was recommended to me by one of the top Latin speakers and teachers in the world. I haven't tried it out yet myself because it is not available in Canada (to my knowledge).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2171 date=1059487334]<br /><br />This series was recommended to me by one of the top Latin speakers and teachers in the world. [/quote]<br /><br />Well this book has been WRITTEN by one of the top Latin teachers in the world... http://www.textkit.com/pointer.php?id=108

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yes but they weren't asking about that one. they were asking about orberg ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Sorry son I am just ignorant :-\

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

np ;)<br /><br />for the record, i'm a girl. :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2192 date=1059506134]<br />Sorry son I am just ignorant :-\<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Episcopus:<br /><br />We all know your enthusiam for D'Ooge, but try to keep replies on topic ;)<br /><br />Now hang on to your chair for this.. Textkit donated our copy of D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book to the Distrubuted Proofreading Project. It'll eventually be posted on Project Gutenberg as a fully digital Latin grammar and it'll be Textkit's first 100% digital grammar download.<br /><br />are you still breathing? ;D<br /><br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2202 date=1059509026]<br /><br /><br />Hi Episcopus:<br /><br />Now hang on to your chair for this.. Textkit donated our copy of D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book to the Distrubuted Proofreading Project. It'll eventually be posted on Project Gutenberg as a fully digital Latin grammar and it'll be Textkit first 100% digital grammar download.<br /><br />are you still breathing? ;D<br /><br /><br />jeff<br />[/quote] <br /><br />AHA!! AWESOME!! <br /><br />THEY WON'T REGRET IT!! SEE THIS PEOPLE?! THIS IS CLASS THAT IS STILL BEING RECOGNISED, I trucking can't wait ;D ;D<br /><br />So many people will see it!! Dr. D'Ooge will never leave us. His works shall remain loved in appreciation of his contributions and sheer class.<br /><br />KLEWLIS download "Latin For Beginners" by Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge. <br /><br />Thank you Jeff again for the Book and He would thank you also for not allowing great works to be destroyed ;D<br /><br /> ;D ;D ;D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

He's not out of style. Don't forget too that he was a contributing editor on the MUCH more used A&G's New Latin Grammar and he has had his hand in many other textbooks. But enough of D'Ooge, we're taking over Alundis's Lingua Latina thread by getting off course. Save D'Ooge evangelism for the open board ;)<br /><br />Let's get this discussion back on course...<br /><br /><br />
Textkit Founder

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I once had a copy of the first part of an older edition of Lingua Latina, I believe there were 4 parts then. I think I worked through it, but I did have a background of 3 years of high school level Latin. I don't know if it would be suitable for self study.<br />I liked the method, although the first few chapters were boooooring because of all the repetition (limited vocab). Italia est insula, Sicilia est insula, Italia et Sicilia sunt insula, etc.<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=3;threadid=216;start=0#2212 date=1059510075]<br />He's not out of style. Don't forget too that he was a contributing editor on the MUCH more used A&G's New Latin Grammar and he has had his hand in many other textbooks. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Heh don't I know it!! <br /><br />But I'd say that Allen and Greenfluff book is more detailed, for a great interesting read; but as far as actual learning goes, 'Latin For Beginners' is perfect. Believe me I have a copy of Allen and Green. in the house and it was simply not helpful. <br /><br />Anyhow sorry, I'll leave ;D

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Hi, <br /><br />I followd the method of Hans Orberg. I am from Belgium and in my school we followed this method. I am verry glad that I experienced this method, cause it helped me verry well. I followed it tree years. My school professors made some helpful books with it; a dutch grammar and vocabulary and exercises. In fact the method is made for adults who want to learn Latin. It teaches you Latin the way a baby learns to speak. The greatest thing about it, is that you learn speak Latin actively! That's the ultimate goal. Now I am on the University and I still learn Latin there. On the university we have to translate from Dutch to Latin. For that purpose I already know a lot by this method. <br /><br />I will recommend it.<br />Greetings.