Please help me with a phrase

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
M.Olsson
Textkit Neophyte

Please help me with a phrase

Post by M.Olsson »

Hello everybody!

I am complete newbie when it comes to latin but I am really interested in the language and would like to learn it some day.
My question is what the phrase "before it all ends" is translated into latin?
My own guess is something like "antequam finis omnino"..? (hehe, don't laugh if I am completely wrong... I said I was a newbie!)

You'd make my day if you could provide me with the correct translation.

/ Marcus

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

ante omnium finem
"before the end of everything ('it all')" - awkward in English but only 3 latin words (the ones you started with....ante is appropriate since it's more of a prep phrase, and besides that your word choice was correct but endings were a little off.) I'm not sure how to incorpora ate the verb "end", or even which type of "end" to use, in place of the noun "end" but the meaning is the same. I'm sure someone will post with something brilliant & closer though. Good luck with your Latin studies!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Amy has a nice translation. If you prefer a verb, "it ends", there are a number of ways. I suppose the most literal would be
ante omnia quam finientur
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae