Seeking Hercules Translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
GladiDomini
Textkit Neophyte

Seeking Hercules Translation

Post by GladiDomini »

I am seeking the translation of the Hercules story, which can be found here:
http://www.languages.uncc.edu/classics/ ... _texts.htm

I already translated the stories 1-5, but did a poor job on them, please I only need those to check my translations, i havea quiz on them tomorrow, please I need help (fast), I beg you people out there, please... :(

thanks alot :(

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

how can we check your translations if we can't see them? :?

GladiDomini
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GladiDomini »

I would rather not post my translations... they are really bad :oops: (they are too bad for all the world to see them :()

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

Well I don't think it's a good idea for me or anybody else to translate them for you because you could easily write them down and hand it in as your own work, and that's plagiarism.

Are there any specific spots you are having trouble on? Don't worry if they look bad to you, I doubt anyone will make fun of you for them.

GladiDomini
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GladiDomini »

Im kinda having truble with all of them (2,3,5):

Ear cropping:

Hercules, a young man, dwelled in the town of thebs. The thebean King, a lazy man, spoke to Creon. Minyae, people related to war, neighbored the thebes. However the ambassador of Thebes and Minyis meet yearly and demended a 100 cows. However theben people were always supirior to Minyien people' they payed the king of Miny tribute every year. Hercules was supposed to pay the tribute this year. The ambasador captured him and cut of his ears.

:oops: :oops:

u can IM me at rejectedandforgotten (that is Yahoo)

thanks

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Hercules, iam adulescens, urbem Thebas incolebat. Rex
Thebarum, vir ignavus, Creon appellabatur. Minyae, gens
bellicosissima, Thebanis finitimi erant. Legati autem a Minyis
ad Thebanos quotannis veniebant et centum boves postula-
bant. Thebani enim olim a Minyis superati erant; tributa
igitur regî Minyarum quotannis pendebant. At Hercules
cives suos hôc stipendiô liberare constituit. Legatos igitur
comprehendit, atque aures eorum abscidit. Legati autem
apud omnes gentes sacri habentur.
Hercules, a young man, dwelled in the town of thebs. The thebean King, a lazy man, spoke to Creon. Minyae, people related to war, neighbored the thebes. However the ambassador of Thebes and Minyis meet yearly and demended a 100 cows. However theben people were always supirior to Minyien people' they payed the king of Miny tribute every year. Hercules was supposed to pay the tribute this year. The ambasador captured him and cut of his ears.
Rather than 'spoke to', in this case, appellabatur (note that it's passive) means 'was called'. 'Bellicosissima' is the superlative of bellicosus and agrees with gens. 'superati erant' - the meaning of this will become clear if you notice the 'a' before Minyis.
At Hercules cives suos hôc stipendiô liberare constituit.
This sentence has one noun in the nominative and one finite verb which in this case is taking a complementary infinitive. Its meaning will be less confusing if you find these, then remember the ablative of separation.
Legatos igitur comprehendit, atque aures eorum abscidit. There is no singular ambassador, but you're right, the verb is singular. Therefore the subject is the same as the subject of the previous sentence.
Frankly I can't understand the last sentence either. Anyone???

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Legati autem apud omnes gentes sacri habentur.
Frankly I can't understand the last sentence either. Anyone???
Ah, people always seem to have a hard time remembering the secondary meaning of habere "to consider/regard".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Difficult to remember something you'd never learnt, of course. OK, and the other thing that I had wrong, was it's sacer, -ri, not sacrum, -ri. That makes a big difference also!