introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

introduction

Post by klewlis »

hey! here is my Official Introduction Thread ;)<br /><br />my name is Holly and I am in the process of learning classical greek and latin... I'm still a beginner in both, and am teaching myself (or, attempting to ;).<br /><br />I do, however, have three years of formal study in Koine Greek, and have since kept up simply by reading on my own and with partners... nothing too in depth since my classes though.<br /><br />I used to have a latin pen pal and we would write elementary notes to each other in latin... that was extremely helpful but then he disappeared, so I may attempt to take part in some of the dialogue threads in the agora.<br /><br />I think this site is fabulous and don't know why I've never heard of it until today... I thought I had all the best sources bookmarked already but I was wrong!<br /><br />looking forward to participation....
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:introduction

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />I'd love to participate in the Agora someday; I'm not quite ready yet. <br /><br />How did you stumble upon this site? Just curious how you found your way here. I just started learning Latin, so I did some web searches for Latin learning sites and that's how I found this place! It's one of the best sites I've found.<br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

someone in the classics-l list mentioned it.... i was looking for greek grammars ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

nice.. I like to hear how visitors find us.<br /><br />Speaking of Greek grammars, I just received Goodwin's Elementary Greek Grammar yesterday - the book's section on syntax is a gem! Goodwin borrows from his much more lengthy "Syntax of the Moods and Tenses.." but it is presented in his "Elementary" in a much more condensed version for the beginner.<br /><br />I won't post this however until I finally post Smyth, I have been dragging my heals on that one for about year. After Smyth we'll do Hadley and Allen. Then will do Goodwin's Elementary Grammar followed by White's Beginner's Greek Book.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I just ordered Smyth from the bookstore... should be here sometime this week, which is exciting. <br /><br />I had bought middle liddell at christmas, thinking that would be enough to go from koine to classical but it isn't quite... or i'm reading the wrong texts cuz it sure is a lot tougher than koine. so i'm hoping smyth can help me out with that.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Smyth will certainly get you going in the right direction.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

what authors/texts do you recommend for beginners?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=320;start=0#2198 date=1059507653]<br />Welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />I'd love to participate in the Agora someday; I'm not quite ready yet. <br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I do - however pathetically :-X<br /><br />yes textkit rules and jeff be the man ;D big up jeff ;D<br /><br /><br /><br />are those your feet?<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

lol<br /><br />yes those are my feet. one day i was attempting to take artistic pictures of significant things in my life... everyone always comments on my brightly coloured toes, so they made it on the list ;)<br /><br />also included were m&m's, postcards, my greek new testament, and miniature roses.<br /><br />yes, i'm odd.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

uh...alright <br />*cough* <br />freak<br /><br /><br />small feet...what are you, 5? :o