Online courses

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
wjmooney
Textkit Neophyte

Online courses

Post by wjmooney »

I am new to this group, and I hope someone can assist me with my question. I would like to learn New Testament Greek, but I do not live in an area that offers these courses. I have been looking at a few colleges that offer Greek through distance education (e.g. Moody Bible Institute). I would like some opinions on whether or not a person can learn the language adequately without interaction with a professor. Also, can anyone recommend colleges that offer Greek courses? I prefer a US college/university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies.

Thanks.

Bill

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

If you are interested in Biblical Greek then I totally recommend getting William Mounce's grammar course that is used on this forum. I have just finished it and have reviewed it alot. It has a CD that comes with it that is very helpful. I have just ordered a workbook that is part of the course. it has been a wonderful grammar course for me. I have learned alot.

But for me I am not a good student. I study on my own and enjoy the freedom of going my own pace, sometime faster then normal and sometime much slower then normal. But if you desire a structured classroom, and if that is what motivates you to learn then do what best works for you. But it is not impossible to learn Greek on your own, but you have to really want it bad enough to devote the time to learn it. This site is wonderful for me because everytime I have any thing I cannot figure out all I have to do is ask the smart ones on here for help and they have eagerly helped me everytime.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

It can certainly be done but takes much dedication. There are some things for which it's best to have a teacher, but those things come after all the first year stuff (first year is basic grammar, reading, etc.). For example, in my second and third years we focused more indepth on syntax (which you can do on your own) but we also did things such as diagramming, textual criticism, and exegesis, which really do need a teacher. Our focus was on biblical studies so some of these things may not be necessary to you anyway. :) But if you do find yourself eventually at that point, I can recommend some great books.

And of course textkit is always here to help!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

John L
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John L »

klewlis,

I was curious to if exegesis would vary that much between who is teaching it. I would imagine it would. If you had a Baptist teaching it compared to a Catholic teaching it. Would syntax vary that much too?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

John L wrote:klewlis,

I was curious to if exegesis would vary that much between who is teaching it. I would imagine it would. If you had a Baptist teaching it compared to a Catholic teaching it. Would syntax vary that much too?
The methods of exegesis shouldn't change much (if at all) from teacher to teacher, as there are basic principles involved for good scholarship. The conclusions reached may differ, but that cannot be avoided since every person is different. When I did my major exegetical paper in my third year, the teacher was not convinced by my conclusions but gave me an A anyway because my method was solid and well-researched, and that is what matters (with a little more work I may have convinced him ;). Syntax should not vary at all, as it is even more set and methodical.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus