oiper

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

oiper

Post by klewlis »

From Xenophon's Anabasis, 3.2.10

What is [size=134]οἱπερ[/size]? It's not in middle liddel and the perseus help tool only gives me [size=134]ὁ[/size]

??
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I believe it means "whither", but I could be wrong, I'm rather new at Greek.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

(many edits)
οἵ is masc. pl. nom. of ὅς.
In Elements, Euclid uses 'ὅπερ' as "the very thing that" as in "ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι(the very thing that needed to be shown)".
But this kind of particles change their meaning abruptly according to the gender, number, and cases. In this case the note in Goodwin says its a causal relative pronoun.
Or you could refer to the White's Illustrated Dictionary of Anabasis, page 161, to find ὅσπερ 'who certainly(rel. pron.)'.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

-per sort of emphasises a word. So oiper is the relative pronoun + per like Mingshey said. You could translated it by adding ‘especially’.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

interesting. painful. but interesting.

thanks. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus