JWW exercises, paragraphs 538, 539, 540

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 538, 539, 540

Post by Koala »

Merci beaucoup encore M. Slylax pour tous vos conseils!
Voici des exercises que j'ai achevés tout à l'heure...

1. Cyrus is a worthy friend, to he who would be his friend
2. wherever a general was still alive, they called-to/urged the general
3. for I would fear the guide, who they might send to follow us
4. I will come to the city, whenever the time is fitting
5. whenever the Persians voted someone to death, they took hold of his belt
6. they marched these very long daily stages, whenever they wished to go to water or for fodder/forage
7. they did not salute whom they did not want
8. there-will-be/let-there-be a truce until the King gives us orders to fight
9. therefore to whomever these things do not appear (to be) well, let him withdraw
10. he will not make peace with the enemy, until he consults with you

[size=167]α. τῷ ἡγεμόνι ᾧ Κύρος πέμπει πιστεύσομεν β. καὶ ὅπου ἂν ὦ, ἔσομαι σὺν σοί ἐν τιμῇ γ. ὅποτε οἱ Ἕλληνες πλησιάζοιεν, οἱ βάρβαροι ἔφευγον δ. ἔσονται σπονδαὶ ἕως ἂν ἥκω ε. τὰ πλοῖα ἅ ἡμῖν πέμποιτε, φοβοίμεθ 0 ἂν χρᾶσθαι[/size]

After Cyrus ordered these things, all those who were present took Orontas by the girdle (as a sign that he was condemned) to death. Then/thereupon they, to whom he had been assigned, led him out – and those who bowed to him before, even then made obeisance to him, although he was being led to death. He was then led/brought into the tent of Artapatas, a trusted sceptre-bearer of Cyrus’s – after this nobody heard anything (more) about him. They conjectured how he died, some in one way, others in another.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

The tribute is going on :

1. « to he who would be his friend » : could it be « to whomever he [Cyrus] is friendly » (Then the meaning would be : Cyrus makes no differences between his friends : he is worthy to all – it is the ᾧ that matters, because this relative pronoun in the dative cannot, at the best of my knowledge, express the subject of the relative clause : it must be translated as a dative in the relative clause. In No 3, the relative assimilated to a dative represents an accusative, not a nominative)

3. πέμψειεν is a singular with a nu movable (plural πέμψειαν or πέμψαιεν)

α. κῦρος :)
ε. χρᾶσθαι · χρῆσθαι (it is χρή‐ομαἰ

« He had been assigned » : « It (= leading him out) had been assigned », I think

χαῖρε