Some Doubts about Classical Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Leonidas
Textkit Neophyte

Some Doubts about Classical Greek

Post by Leonidas »

Please,I am starting to study Classical Greek,because I am an addicted to ancient history,principally greek ancient history,so I would to ask anybody here,what is the real differences between the Classical Greek and the koine,and if I study Classical Greek will I be able to understand also the modern greek?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Koine is really useful for reading the Bible, but if you are interested in history it's probably best to study Attic, that way you can read the works of Greek historians in the original and generally understand the Greek culture better by reading other stuff in the original.
You won't automatically be able to understand modern Greek though. I found I could understand a lot, but there were still so many things that made no sense... a friend gave me 3 teach yourself modern Greek books. So you should be able to understand modern Greek if you've done classical and you've read through some teach yourself modern Greek books. What I find I lack is a modern Greek dictionary... lol. I can't just go and have a conversation with someone in Greek, I'd probably be able to pick up modern Greek easily if I went to live in Greece for a year though :P .

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Emma_85 wrote:Koine is really useful for reading the Bible,
Not just the Bible, but anything written around the same time period--early church fathers, historians, etc. And didn't Marcus Aurelius write in koine as well? :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Leonidas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Leonidas »

Emma_85 wrote:Koine is really useful for reading the Bible, but if you are interested in history it's probably best to study Attic, that way you can read the works of Greek historians in the original and generally understand the Greek culture better by reading other stuff in the original.
You won't automatically be able to understand modern Greek though. I found I could understand a lot, but there were still so many things that made no sense... a friend gave me 3 teach yourself modern Greek books. So you should be able to understand modern Greek if you've done classical and you've read through some teach yourself modern Greek books. What I find I lack is a modern Greek dictionary... lol. I can't just go and have a conversation with someone in Greek, I'd probably be able to pick up modern Greek easily if I went to live in Greece for a year though :P .
/Ok my friend,i Thak you a lot,but I really want to know if there are big differrences between Koine and classical greek,because I have study material of both!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Leonidas wrote:I really want to know if there are big differrences between Koine and classical greek,because I have study material of both!
Koine simplifies a lot of the irregularities of classical Greek. If you start with Attic, it will be very easy to go read Koine. The opposite direction is harder, because you'll have to learn, among other things, an entire system of conjugation (the optative). Koine syntax is generally easier, too, though both Attic and Koine both are capable of producing some serious puzzlers.

Since history is your interest, I'd recommend you start with Attic.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

William is right of course.

Though we do learn a bit of the optative in koine... not much. ([size=134]μη γενοιτο[/size]!)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

He he... well said.
Actually, study CLASSICAL Greek!
It is classical. I learned the biblical Greek first... mistakes happen. :oops: