Textkit Logo

Tutorial Idea

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Tutorial Idea

Postby Bert » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:01 am

If one of the Greek gurus is able and willing to write a beginners tutorial on conditional clauses, (s)he will be guaranteed at least one reader.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby chad » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:02 am

hi bert, until will, whiteoctave, skylax, paul &c writes such a tutorial, have a look at sidgwick's greek prose composition, just put online here at textkit yesterday. he explains conditional clauses really well (he explains everything well in those first 100 pages). :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:35 pm

Hi Bert!
Hope this helps a bit. I don't know if this is what you had in mind, it's as short as possible (I always find that short answers are good just to get an overview of the topic):

There are three conditional clauses, the Eventualis, Potentialis and the Irrealis (sorry only know the Latin terms).
It might be best if someone just checks this, because although I know how to translate these clauses into German I’m not sure that I’m doing a good job of translating them into English :P .

For negation use [face=spionic]mh/ [/face] in the clause and [face=spionic] ou) [/face] in the main sentence.

Eventualis:
The main body of the sentence is in future tense the clause is: [face=spionic]e)a/n [/face] + conjunctive

e.g. [face=spionic]E)a/n me a)dikh/sh|j, a)ganakth/sw.[/face]
If you should do me wrong, I will (surely) be cross.

Potentialis:
The main body of the sentence is present or aorist tens and in the optative + [face=spionic]a(/n [/face] , while the clause is [face=spionic]ei) [/face] + optative aorist/present.

e.g. [face=spionic]Ei) tou kle/ptou kathgoroi~ tij, kri/noito a)/n. [/face]
If someone accused a thief, he (the thief) would be condemned.

Irrealis:
This is the more complicated one...
in the present: normally the main sentence is Imperfect Indicative + [face=spionic]a)/n [/face] and the clause is [face=spionic]ei) [/face] + Imperfect Indicative. In some case though it’s the Aorist and not the indicative and still has a present tense meaning, so you just have see which translation is best.

e.g.: [face=spionic]Ei) mh/ me h)di/keij, ou)k h)gana/ktoun a)/n.[/face]
If you weren’t doing me wrong, then I wouldn’t be cross with you.

the Irrealis of the past in normally:
main sentence is Aorist Indicative + [face=spionic]a)/n [/face] and the clause is [face=spionic]ei) [/face] + Aorist Indicative
But again a sentence in the Imperfect tense might also have a past meaning.

e.g.: [face=spionic]Ei)/ me h)di/khsaj, h)gana/kthsa a)/n.[/face]
If you had done me wrong, then I would have been cross.

Most important thing to remember about the Irrealis is that it's in the Indicative, not the conjunctive like in Latin.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bert » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:04 pm

Thanks Chad and Emma.
No need to apologize for not knowing the English terms, Emma. I am at fault for not knowing Latin.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek