May I ask why?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Aurelia
Textkit Fan

May I ask why?

Post by Aurelia »

Why doesn't Greek have an ablative case? This is going to be quite a challenge indeed, learning this language. :?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It got eaten by the genitive ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

xanthos64
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xanthos64 »

Hi Aurelia

It used to have an ablative case but the functions of the ablative were at some point in time assumed by the dative, genitive, and accusative.

Just think of it as one less form to learn!

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

It got eaten by the genitive
awww poor ablative. I wonder how it tasted...

Well, I have one less case to worry about but now I have to learn the dual forms and the definite articles. :wink:

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

I like the case system a lot better than Latin's, but the having to learn 6 principle parts for each verb is going to bother me.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

lol, I'm going to commit suicide by way of learning Greek! Hehe, not really. :P It's my own choice, I shouldn't be complaining about it. :lol:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

you will learn to love the definite articles. they are extremely helpful. and really, there are only 24 forms to learn and then you're set. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus