Help a Latin-Beginner out !!

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
w238354
Textkit Neophyte

Help a Latin-Beginner out !!

Post by w238354 »

Hey there.

My names Roxxy and I’m from Chch NZ.
I’ve just started to learn Latin and I'm looking for all the help I can get.
Does anyone know if there is a Latin society or such in NZ or do you know of any sites on the net that would help out a very beginner?
Is there someone out there who would like to take me under his or her wing and help me out? Please and thank you.

Thanks.

-Roxxy.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Hi. This site will help you learn, just be specific about what you ask. You can also PM me through Textkit or one of the various messengers if you want me to ask me a question personally. This is, for the most part, a friendly learning environment focused on giving useful and free help to beginners, especially in collaboration with the free texts on the site. I am sure we can answer whatever questions you have, but whether someone wants to "adopt" you is up to them. I devote a significant portion of my time giving Latin advice and correcting work from other people. You can talk to me, but I don't know anyone here who can offer the sort of attention that a teacher or tutor would give.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Hi Roxxy!

Welcome!

Well, as benissimus has said, you will find all the assistance you will need here so long as you’re willing to try. I’ve been doing the same thing that you are about to start, so I can give you a few helpful ideas to get you started. The good news is that it’s a fun part of the process.

First, download one of the beginner texts on this site. Here’s a link to the page: http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php

I’m currently working with the “Latin for Beginner’s Book” by D’Ooge and others here are as well. But equally good is “Beginner’s Latin Book” by Collar and Daniell. If you aren’t sure, get them both (as some here do as well) and you can sample each or work with both. The books are written for someone who is just starting out learning Latin. They're free too!

Make sure you get the Adobe Reader from their web site. It’s free and you’ll need it to view the book on your computer. You can print out a few pages at a time or the whole book. Or you can work with it on the computer. If you’re comfortable with the computer and typing isn’t a chore, than I recommend using your favorite word processor to do your exercises. This will help a lot when you have questions you want to pose here because you can simply cut and paste. Otherwise a notebook will work just fine.

That will get you started with the texts. When you hit a rough spot, come back here and post your question to the “Learning Latin Forum” or “Latin for Beginner’s” forums. Also, read the various forums and the past discussions because many questions have been asked and answers given that you will find helpful along with solutions to exercises. There are answer keys available as well. When posting, state what book you are using, the question being asked , any Latin provided, and the problem you are having. That will be enough to get the ball rolling.

Now, you never mentioned why you are learning Latin. Are you taking a self study course? Reading the bible? Taking classics courses?

In any case, you’re in for a treat!

- Tim
post scriptum: spelling :oops:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

If you use the aforementioned Latin For Beginners by Dr. B.L.D, he will take you under his wing, and I will gladly help you if you are serious about learning latin, the most efficient method is probably via msn or you can PM me, because I am GMT :?

I like New Zealand. We were going to live there. My mother picked Wales. That tells you something unique about my mother.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Pssst! Roxxy!

episcopus has excellent latin skills.

You would do well to accept his offer.

(I will deny ever having said this.)

- tim

w238354
Textkit Neophyte

:)

Post by w238354 »

Thank you everyone so much for expressing so much ... helpfulness? Is that a word ?

Just a few things.

Im wanting to learn Latin for the sake of pure interest and the fact that I have some papers in Latin that I would like to translate Myself. And no, Im not trying to read the bible, that comes in english versions as well.

Please excuse any dry sarcastic wit that may come from my typing.
Its the way ive been brought up :P And it makes life so much more interesting ;) :P :lol:

---- :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Off to PM some one ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Episcopus wrote: I like New Zealand. We were going to live there.
Can I just say, grrr. :evil: You know the effing deal roxxy