How many people are currently using Wheelock

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

How many people are currently using Wheelock

Post by Rhuiden »

I was just curious how many people are currently using Wheelock. I just got the 6th edition and am using it in conjunction with D'ooge. Not sure which I like better yet. Any opinions?

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

I flip through my Wheelock every once in a while. Mostly use the Allen & Greenough though, simply because it is the 'ultimate source' for NJCL Certamen.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I was first trained through Wheelock, but since I completed the Latin Composition based on Cicero (right here at Textkit — thanks, Jeff), I've found everything else kind of dull. Still, I know the book's layout well, so I always know exactly where to look when I want to doublecheck on some specific usages or the like. It also has a very comprehensive Summary of Forms in the back, which I've long since photocopied.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I was taught from Wheelock's and it is the textbook I recommend. This very old thread against Wheelock's may help you decide, but keep in mind that all textbooks have their faults and advantages.
viewtopic.php?t=53
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I too am using Wheelock with a dash of D'Ooge here and there. While I prefer D'Ooge, Wheelock is the school text so I have to maintain studying that until we move onto something more interesting. ;) And by interesting I mean less P.C. sentences and more English -> Latin practice. I agree that Wheelocks is the best "modern" Latin text for first starting out though, especially because there are so many Wheelocks related books and websites out there to complement your studies.

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

Latin at my school is with Cambridge Latin Course. It's TERRIBLE! They go so slooooooow. I just finished my first year, but a friend of mine and I have already learned all the grammar for the entire Cambridge series.

Luckily my teacher is letting us take Latin III at the same time as we are officially taking Latin II. This way we'll get to take Latin IV our senior year, which is an AP class. She says noone passes the AP test, but we're planning on it.

Cleo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cleo »

I'm currently doing Wheelock exclusively.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Homeschool

Post by Rhuiden »

Cleo,

How old are your kids? We also homeschool and my daughters are 7 and 4. My wife does the vast majority of it but I do Latin and help with Math, History, and Bible. I started my 7 year old on Matin Latin about 3 weeks ago.

Any other homeschoolers out there?

Rhuiden

Cleo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cleo »

My son is almost 7, but he doesn't do Wheelock.... He does Latina Christiana and Minimus...

My daughter sorta tags along, at almost 4 yo...

I do Wheelock so I can get a fighting chance :)

Fredericus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Homeschool

Post by Fredericus »

Rhuiden wrote:Any other homeschoolers out there?
My current plan:

I'm about to start teaching my two boys, 9 and 12. Not with Wheelock, though! Well, the 12-year-old could probably handle it, but I wanted to see if I could find an approach that would work with both of them, at least initially. So, this first year, I'm doing "Latin Lite": we'll be going through the Minimus books and maybe some other material, as well as concurrently working through English from the Roots Up to get them familiar with more Greek and Latin vocabulary and English roots.

The goal of this year being a basic familiarity with simple Latin, some vocabulary, and nailing down any missing pieces of English grammar that have fallen through the cracks. Next year I'll proceed with a more "real" Latin curriculum, at least for the older boy. This could be Wheelock, but perhaps something like Lingva Latina (Orberg; an immersion reading sort of approach) could be used with both boys successfully. I'll see how this year pans out before making any bigger plans!

xiaohoo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xiaohoo »

I use Wheelock's too, this is the text my uni decide to use,
I am on Ch 34 now, I think this is a good text book, and
we have a really great lecture

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

My school use the Oxford series. The grammar is taught slowly but I compensate by using Wheelock on my own. Working through all 40 chapters of Wheelock is equivalent to Lat I, II, and III at my uni.