Accents and their ways

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterix
Textkit Neophyte

Accents and their ways

Post by Asterix »

Has anyone some small rules about the accents in the greek language relating to the declinasion ?

Something revealing short and easy to understand.

Thanx for your efforts.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

i have a couple of nice little handouts, but the informations isn't really easily communicable digitally. the best bet is to treat yourself to a new copy of the new work on accents by the fine oxford philologist Philomen Probert. she does, i think, include some exercises. it is out through BCP.

if, rather, you're a woman of skill, hunt yourself down a copy of the legendary Postgate's manual of greek accentuation (Liverpool, 1921), which i have never had the luck to come across.

~D

Cédric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cédric »

Hi,
if you can read French, you can refer to Michel Lejeune's Précis d'accentuation grecque (Hachette Classique, Paris, 1945) which is very helpfull for all these accent problems. It's a very short opus (56p.) and not that expensive either (45F. at the time!).
The first seven pages go through the general rules (limitation, stressed forelast long syllabus (no idea how it's called in English :oops: ??? but in French it's "loi de la pénultième longue accentuée"), rules for contracted forms, etc. The next sections deal with isolated words, declension and conjugation, enclitic and proclitic words.

Good luck :wink: