Origins of iri

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Asterix
Textkit Neophyte

Origins of iri

Post by Asterix »

Hello

I ask myself what origins the passive future of esse "iri" is.

It sounds strange and has no sound connestions with esse, eram or fui.

Does any one has an idea or can tell me something about a comparision with other languages ???

Thankx

Sorry for my bad english but it's late ....

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Good morning, Europe !

In an equally bad English, I will say that IRI is no form from ESSE at all. It is the present infinitive passive of IRE "to go". It is used to build the future infinitive passive, e. g. CAPTUM IRI "to be later caught". When the Latin says CREDO URBEM CAPTUM IRI "I believe that the town will be caught", he thinks "I believe that one is going to catch te town". IRI is an impersonal passive ("one goes") and CAPTUM is a supine denoting purpose after a verb of motion. URBEM here is no subject but a direct object of CAPTUM.

In French : le Latin ne dit pas littéralement "je crois que la ville sera prise" mais "je crois qu'on va prendre la ville".

Vale

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Oui, monsieur, très bien! Tu as raison; et ton anglais n'est pas mal. Comme fait le temps en Belgique cet été?

Indeed, Skylax is quite right. In English, we often so something along the lines of, "He is going to be caught," instead of "he will be caught." That must be the origin of iri.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

Salve,
Strange that you would think iri was from esse, a friend of mine was recently going on about how it was the present passive infinitive of esse. Perhaps because other infinitives (future active, perfect passive) use esse?

Vale,
Titus Marius Crispus