M&F Unit 8

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

M&F Unit 8

Post by bingley »

Could someone check these translations into Latin for me? It's exercise 8.II on page 138.<br /><br />1. He felt that the enemy was serving as the author of evil for that city which had been oppressed for many years by all sorts of destruction.<br />Sensit hostes auctoribus mali illae urbi esse quae multos annos omnibus ruinae generibus oppressa esset. <br /><br />2. Soldiers! Destroy the republic! Overcome all free men! Throw liberty, hope, and faith out of the state! Know that all men are your slaves!<br />Milites! Rem publicam delete! Liberos omnes superate! Spem fidemque et libertatem ex civitate iacite! Scite viros omnes servos vestros esse.<br /><br />3. At daybreak the fugitives, unfortunate in appearance, going hopefully through all the streets of the town, were sought far and wide by the soldiers.<br />Prima luce profugi specibus infelices per omnes oppidi vias spe euntes ab militibus longe quaesiti sunt.<br /><br />4. Mindful of all dangers, the fugitives went from home, throwing cares from their breasts and seeking Rome as the summit to their hopes.<br />Profugi memores periculorum omnium caras ex pectoribus iactentes et Romam verticem spebus suorum quaerentes domo abierunt.<br /><br />5. Marcus, my son, don't look at the arms of the invaders which are shining in the light of the moon.<br />Marce, mi fili, ne arma invadentium spectes quae luci lunae fulgent.<br /><br /><br />Gratiam ago.

Magistra
Textkit Member

Re:M&F Unit 8

Post by Magistra »

Could someone check these translations into Latin for me? It's exercise 8.II on page 138.<br /><br /> At a quick perusal, they look very good. However, who would ever want to say these sentnces??<br /><br /> I made note of a few corrections.<br /><br /><br />1. He felt that the enemy was serving as the author of evil for that city which had been oppressed for many years by all sorts of destruction.<br />Sensit hostes auctoribus mali illae urbi esse quae multos annos omnibus ruinae generibus oppressa esset.<br /><br /> auctores - acc to agree with hostes<br /> ille is irregular in dat sing (illi)<br /> <br /><br />2. Soldiers! Destroy the republic! Overcome all free men! Throw liberty, hope, and faith out of the state! Know that all men are your slaves!<br />Milites! Rem publicam delete! Liberos omnes superate! Spem fidemque et libertatem ex civitate iacite! Scite viros omnes servos vestros esse.<br /><br /> the imperative usually begins the sentence<br /> -que isn't needed (unless you're using polysyndeton)<br /> e civitate - ex is used before vowels (& h)<br /> eiicite may be more forceful<br /> <br />3. At daybreak the fugitives, unfortunate in appearance, going hopefully through all the streets of the town, were sought far and wide by the soldiers.<br />Prima luce profugi specibus infelices per omnes oppidi vias spe euntes ab militibus longe quaesiti sunt.<br /><br /> species is 5th - speciebus (here I would probably use vultu)<br /> a militibus (see e, ex above) <br /> quaesiti sunt - perfect perhaps imperfect would get the ideal of a through search across (of course, in context it would be clear which tense to use)<br /> longe lateque<br /><br />4. Mindful of all dangers, the fugitives went from home, throwing cares from their breasts and seeking Rome as the summit to their hopes.<br />Profugi memores periculorum omnium caras ex pectoribus iactentes et Romam verticem spebus suorum quaerentes domo abierunt.<br /><br /> e pectoribus<br /> iactantes (which I prefer) or iacientes iacto is 1st, iacio is 3rd i-stem<br /> suis - an adjective, must agree with the noun<br /><br />5. Marcus, my son, don't look at the arms of the invaders which are shining in the light of the moon.<br />Marce, mi fili, ne arma invadentium spectes quae luci lunae fulgent.<br /><br /> ne & subj is usually used as a command in poetry; the more common comand is the negative imperative:<br /> noli spectare <br /> luci - is lux an i-stem? I don't recall that it is.<br /><br />I hope this helps you.<br /><br />Magistra<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Magistra wrote:<br />the imperative usually begins the sentence<br /><br />
<br /><br />woah, i was just about to say that and I'm a lingua latina loser! <br /><br />but awesome work :o

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I haven't got M&F. So I don't know what the exercise is about. I don't suggest corrections. I made a partially "renewed" translation into the Latin I like the best. It maybe helpful too.<br /><br />1. He felt that the enemy was serving as the author of evil for that city which had been oppressed for many years by all sorts of destruction.<br />Sensit hostes exitio illi urbi esse quae multos annos omnibus ruinae generibus oppressa esset. <br /><br />2. Soldiers! Destroy the republic! Overcome all free men! Throw liberty, hope, and faith out of the state! Know that all men are your slaves!<br />Milites! Rem publicam evertite! Liberos omnes opprimite! Spem et fidem et libertatem e civitate tollite! Memoria tenete omnes homines servos vestros esse.<br /><br />3. At daybreak the fugitives, unfortunate in appearance, going hopefully through all the streets of the town, were sought far and wide by the soldiers.<br />Prima luce profugi specie miseri per omnes oppidi vias spe bona abeuntes a militibus omnibus locis conquisiti sunt.<br /><br />4. Mindful of all dangers, the fugitives went from home, throwing cares from their breasts and seeking Rome as the summit to their hopes.<br />Profugi memores omnium periculorum curis de pectoribus exactis domo profecti Romam ut spem summam petiverunt<br /><br />5. Marcus, my son, don't look at the arms of the invaders which are shining in the light of the moon.<br />Marce fili, noli arma invadentium spectare quae luce lunae fulgent.<br />

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Skylax,<br /><br />That's beautiful Latin! You have translated the meaning of the sentences, not just the words. Multas gratias!<br /><br />Episcopus,<br /><br />You are not a "lingua latina loser". You are a beginner. Losers don't even begin. You seem to be doing great -- keep learning. And keep asking questions here. There are many people willing to help.<br /><br />Magistra

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Magistra:<br /><br />Perhaps I should've mentioned that the instruction for the first sentence said to use the double dative construction -- something I'm not sure I've really fully grasped anyway.<br /><br />What is polysyndeton?<br /><br />Scylax:<br /><br />I put miseri first and then changed it to infelices, since that was a recent vocabulary item. What is the difference?<br /><br />I put specibus (which should have been speciebus) because I assumed a different appearance for each of the fugitives. Was that wrong?<br /><br />I like the ablative absolute, but present participles was one of the themes for this unit, so that's what I went with.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

bingley wrote:<br />I put miseri first and then changed it to infelices, since that was a recent vocabulary item. What is the difference?<br />
<br />Both words can mean "unfortunate", yet from different points of view.<br /><br />Infelix denotes a lack of of prosperity, of good luck. The opposite is felix (surname of L. Sulla denoting he was a favourite of Fortuna).<br /><br />Miser draws attention to someone's sorry state : "wretched, pitiable". The opposite is beatus.<br /><br />So you can be infelix without feeling miser, and you can be miser without being infelix (if you are a poor little rich boy).<br /><br />Both words are often put together : miser atque infelix, Cicero says.<br /><br />
<br />I put specibus (which should have been speciebus) because I assumed a different appearance for each of the fugitives. Was that wrong?<br />
<br />It was generally speaking a good idea, but here it implies that the particular appearance of each fugitive is important, or even that each fugitive has got many appearances.<br />Specie means "from the point of view of appearance in general". Cf. Caesar : Hi omnes lingua... inter se differunt "All these differ from each other in language...", although there are many languages.<br /><br />
<br />I like the ablative absolute, but present participles was one of the themes for this unit, so that's what I went with. <br />
<br />Ablative absolute was more natural here because it allows to express anteriority.<br /><br />Hac exercitatione difficillima optime confecta ostendisti te in studiis latinis multum proficere. Feliciter !

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

O Skylax, habitãsne cum pãpã??

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

O Scylax, ob verba benignissima adiuvantaque gratias tibi ago.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Episcopus wrote:<br />O Skylax, habitãsne cum pãpã??<br />
<br /><br />Nollem etiamsi liceret. Sententia vero quam scripsisti Galliam magis redolet quam Britanniam. Nonne Gallus es apud Britannos?