grammar qn: pindar, olympian 1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chad
Textkit Zealot

grammar qn: pindar, olympian 1

Post by chad »

hi, i've just finished reading pindar olympian 1, and i've figured out the grammar for each word except i'm still confused about one word... i'm prob. being an idiot overlooking something but can someone please explain how [size=150]φρένας[/size] is being used here:

(1) as an object (although it'd be an "object" of a passive participle)?
(2) as accusative of respect? or
(3) something else?

[size=150]φθέγξομαι ... τότ’ )αγλαοτρίαιναν ἁρπάσαι δαμέντα φρένας ἱμέρῳ[/size]

i (Pindar) declare...(blah blah).. then [still indirect discourse] the Glorious-Trident (Poseiden) to seize (Pelops) [all of this is fine....] (him: i.e. Poseidon) being overpowered [aor part pass masc acc sg, agreeing with implied masc acc sg "poseidon"(?)] in respect of his wits? with desire...

or is [size=150]φρένας[/size] (fem acc pl) the object of the passive participle? is that possible? i just can't work out how it fits in, because it doesn't agree with the passive participle... thanks, chad. :)

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

morning chad,

phrenas serves as an accustive of respect (aka accusative of sphere) given qualification to the damenta. Your bolded translation is correct.

~D

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

once again dave, thanks very much for your help!! :) :) i'm gonna try now to work through the rest of the olympians, because i really like olympian 1; no doubt i'll be back with more questions if i can't find the answers in the commentaries. cheers, chad. :)

btw, given your massive personal library, what are you reading at the moment? :)

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

i'm spending quite a lot of time on verse composition at the moment, betwixt the lexicography. for leisure, i am currently reading aeschylean choruses, though that is often easier said than done!

~D